gnmiller

Locating Good Installer For Flat Tows In Houston

I am trying to find a good and knowledgeable installer of flat tow equipment in the Houston area.  I am about to take delivery of a new Newell motor coach and I am thinking about looking for a good, but used, 2014-2017 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.  I want it done right and it seems there was a wobble issue in the past so having someone experienced with past problems would probably be the best.

I appreciate any help or thoughts anyone has on this matter.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Newell motorhome!   When I priced tow bars, supplement brakes and installation 18  months ago, Camping World in Katy was surprisingly cheaper than Smitty's Welding and they did a great job installing the tow package.  I purchased the Road Master Sterling All-Terrain "aluminum" tow bar, the EZ5 mounting bracket (I didn't want to mess with a cross bar type bracket) and Road Master Invisibrake.   Smitty's Welding has Blue Ox tow bars systems.  I've learned from the FMCA forum that Road Master and Blue Ox are both good towing systems.

Welcome to the Forum and congrats on a new coach.

The wobble issue is not on the Wrangler series of Jeep, just Cherokee.  If you live in the Houston area, then yes I would use Smitty!  Also AF1 or M&G supplemental brake system.  I have had the invisibrake and it's good, but I use my Jeep on 4x4 trails and it does not like to be wet...had 2 short out on me.  My Female has the AF1 and loves it.  I love mine and it's built in Athens, Texas...both systems work really good.  Linda has a 10,000 Blu Ox and I use the 6,000 Roadmaster Sterling.

21 hours ago, wolfe10 said:

gnmiller,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

No first hand experience, but this guy has received a lot of recommendations: http://www.smittysrvwelding.com/

I do have first hand experience with Smitty's RV Welding and it is all excellent.  First time was the Saturn Vue and the second time was the Lincoln MKX. I have referred other friends there and their experience has been positive.  Last person i sent there they were able to spend the night in the parking lot for a finish-up the Next morning.  He may or may not be as cheap as CW but he does excellent work.  He also installed my AF1 in the Saturn and removed it and re-installed it in the Lincoln.

JMHO

On 7/7/2017 at 2:17 PM, fagnaml said:

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new Newell motorhome!   When I priced tow bars, supplement brakes and installation 18  months ago, Camping World in Katy was surprisingly cheaper than Smitty's Welding and they did a great job installing the tow package.  I purchased the Road Master Sterling All-Terrain "aluminum" tow bar, the EZ5 mounting bracket (I didn't want to mess with a cross bar type bracket) and Road Master Invisibrake.   Smitty's Welding has Blue Ox tow bars systems.  I've learned from the FMCA forum that Road Master and Blue Ox are both good towing systems.

Blue Ox and Roadmaster are both good products.  I prefer Roadmaster because all of their parts are manufactured and assembled in house, not manufactured off shore and assembled in the U. S. if that makes a difference to you.  Also they service their tow bars at the conventions as a courtesy, not like the others that charge for that service.

gnmiller,

Congrats on your new Newell!  I did the flat tow set-up on our '07 Ram truck when it was new.  It required removing the front bumper and valance and other parts.  Not a hard job but took awhile.

So, with our '16 Grand Cherokee, we had Action RV do the flat tow install.  They are located in Conroe near the lake.  Great quality work!

In both cases we used the Blue Ox set-up.  Current tow bar is Blue Ox Aventa II.

Blake

Thanks for all of the reply's. I had thought of Camping World but I will also look into Smitty's since both are in my area.  Really looking forward to getting out!!!

Smitty's installed an M&G braking system for me at a reasonable price and in the promised time frame.  Good company doing business the way you would hope.