jleamont

Finally Got The Coach Weight

Although not a 4 corner weight it's a place to start. I'm certain the drivers side is heavier as it houses both slides and the kitchen. Here is the weight slip and And a snap shot of the tires we have now.

Any recommended pressures to set these at?

IMG_3622.JPG

IMG_3627.PNG

Well, we still need more information.  The status of your tanks should be factored in.  How many gallons of fuel, propane, fresh water, gray water and black water were in the coach at the time of weighing?  If you don't have exact amounts, you should give us your best estimate of those values.  That way we can calculate a fully loaded coach.  If everything was completely full, then there is no need to do further calculations on tanks.  Likewise, if there are other loads that you occasionally carry they should be factored in.  For example, we annually rescue about 10 to 15 cases of wine from California.  When we are loaded with wine (we, being the coach), the weight of a case of wine at 50 lbs per case needs to be factored in, that is an additional 500 to 750 pounds we normally don't carry.  If distributed evenly, it would only be 125 to 200 pounds per corner of the coach but since it is unlikely that we are going to put 5-8 cases in the center of the front axle and another 5-8 cases in the center of the rear axle location I allow 200 to 300 pounds additional weight per corner while doing my best to evenly distribute the load in the coach.

The chart gives good tire information but it isn't what is needed to find inflation values.  We need to see the load/inflation chart for your tires.  That chart gives a full range of weights that the tire is capable of carrying and it lists a pressure for each weight range.  For instance, for my tires, the single tire carrying a weight of 6810 pounds should have an inflation of 105 PSI.  Factor in 10%, it gives 115 PSI.  The next weight category is 7070 and it should have an inflation of 110, add 10%, it would be 120 which is the max inflation for my rims and tires.

4580 on the tag seems quite low.  What are the rating of the various axles listed on your coach.  Mine is 13,000, 22,000 and 10,000.  I don't carry 10,000 on the tag but if I remember correctly it is substantially more than 4600.

You absolutely do need to have all 4 corners weighed before you try to adjust any of the tire pressures but at least you should now be able to tell if any of your axles are overloaded.

As mentioned above, you also need to know if these weights were done with a full fuel tank (it should have been) 2 people on board (it should have been) and full propane (if appropriate) and full fresh water and empty black and grey tanks.  If would also be OK if you had a 1/2 tank of fresh water and 1/2 full black and grey but it needs to be some kind of a realistic representation of how you will be using the coach.  I have to assume that this was also done with all the stuff you would have on board while traveling.  Clothes, food, tools....all supplies.

When you are ready to adjust the air pressure on your tires you will need to search out a 4 point weighing option.  You might even be able to find a truck scale where you could drive onto the scale with only the right side and then left side wheels.  This is still not perfect but you can do some math and get a fairly accurate picture of what amount of weight is being carried by each tire.

Bill and Tom, here's some more information.

No tag axle coach. Front axle Max weight rating is 13,500 lbs drive axle is 23,500.

Bill the 4850 is the Toad, really doesn't matter for tire calculation as it's towed all 4 down. It fit on the scale it went on.

the coach was completely full of fresh water (100 gallons) and fuel (135 gallons). No propane, all electric coach and all of us were on board in our seats, black and grey tanks were empty. My tanks are stacked on top of one another so if the fresh goes down a few gallons it went into the gray a foot above. 

Probably a little heavier than usual as we were returning from a two week trip so we were over stocked of food and clothing, but I figured it was better to weigh it in the "worst case scenario" than a usuall weekend trip. All 6 are set to 110 PSI at this time.

Trying to get 4 corner weight is nearly impossible. Our local police is my only option, not sure if I want to go there, since I'm not over on any axle that might be an option now.

The men in blue take care of their own, even when one turned into a mechanic!  Go see your friendly neighborhood cops...:lol:

It also helps to remind everyone that you have 3 women onboard..:blink:

Joe, in both our MHs, the paper work included a brochure from the tire manufacturer listing PSIs for all tires based on weight, size and used as a single or dually.  You need more information from BFG other than just max weight and max pressure.

Joe,

Don't know where you travel to but some of the weigh stations leave their scales open.  In Oregon I drove across one of the scales and DW recorded the weight. Next scale I drove over with only the passenger side. Did the math to come up with the four corners. I had done what you did and had previously weighed at a cat scale and just got total weight for axles.  Surprisingly I was very close to corner weights...go figure.  So in your adventures, check out some of the weigh stations. There may be a listing on the web somewhere of states that leave their scales on.

FYI,

If you might be traveling through Livingston Texas there is a fellow in the Escapees camp ground that weighs coaches. Sorry, I had his card but can't locate it now. You can google Escapees and they may have his contact information.

You may also check with your Area Rallies to see if they will have a vendor weighing coaches at their Rally.

Herman