bosun

Hopkins Custom Tail Light Wiring Kit For Jeep JK

I'm outfitting my 2016 Jeep Wrangle 2 door Rubicon as a toad.  I'm looking into a easy plug and play tail light system.  I would like to hear from anyone using a "Hopkins Custom Tail Light Wiring Kit".  

Thanks,

Patrick

Patrick,

Not familiar with the Hopkins kit but did wire a Wrangler we towed for several years using diodes without any problems. Since there isn't a lot of protection from the elements behind the Wrangler tail lights I wrapped the connections and diodes with rubber tape then several wraps of electrical tape. Kept the dry. They do get a bit bulky trying to fit them back through the small hole behind the light.

But when all was said and done just plug them in when hooking up and go. Be sure to do the walk around before taking off.

Patrick, I used the Hopkins kit on our 2014 JKU, no issues. I understand the Mopar kit is easier to install as it only plugs into the interior of the Jeep, you don't have to route the harness to the rear. But it is 4x the price;

https://www.moparpartsdeals.com/oem-parts/mopar-tow-vehicle-wiring-harness-82211156ab?origin=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5vaGzOX51QIV1TqBCh2icAGYEAQYAiABEgIBIvD_BwE

On 8/27/2017 at 1:30 PM, Bosun said:

I'm outfitting my 2016 Jeep Wrangle 2 door Rubicon as a toad.  I'm looking into a easy plug and play tail light system.  I would like to hear from anyone using a "Hopkins Custom Tail Light Wiring Kit".  

Thanks,

Patrick

How did the Rubicon do back there? Any issues with tracking or jerking with those off road oriented tires? I’m considering a Wrangler Unlimited as a toad and would go Rubicon if I do. Might as well go all in!

1 hour ago, Beach8255 said:

How did the Rubicon do back there? Any issues with tracking or jerking with those off road oriented tires? I’m considering a Wrangler Unlimited as a toad and would go Rubicon if I do. Might as well go all in!

We tow a 2014 Wrangler Unlimited and have the Mopar wiring kit. Install was pretty straight forward and we have had no problems. 

The biggest help in towing the Jeep was making sure both the Motorhome and the Jeep had good suspension alignments.