Gman69

Roadside Assistance: Mounting Replacement Tire

Since my 2012 Thor Daybreak doesn't have a spare tire, I was worried about getting a tire in my size (19.5) in the event I should have a flat in some of the remote locations in the west. 

Understand that there is probably lots of places that the road side assistance could call/contract to come out and change the tire, but I was concerned about them having a replacement tire in stock.  Thus, I carry a new, unmounted tire in one of my storage compartments.  Has anyone else done so, and what have you had to pay to have them dismount and mount the tire? 

Understand that the road side assistance would cover changing the tire (off and on the MH) but actually mounting the new tire on the rim.

While I haven't used roadside assistance my self, changing a "truck tire" on the side of the road should be a relatively easy task for a properly trained service person.

Your plan to carry your own un-mounted spare is a good one.

While you already have your tire others may want to consider getting a used tire to carry around. Less expensive, a little lighter and you won't be aging a "new" tire. You really only need the spare to get you home so you can review your tire situation and shop for a good deal.

my unmounted spare is a new tire that I purchased a couple of years ago.  my question is what I would expect to pay to have it mounted, it I used a RSA to change the tires.  

Bill, You may want to call around and get a better idea of how places charge. This is from QualityCo.com.

BASIC ROAD SERVICES

Emerg Road Svc Call-Reg Hrs./Per Hr.  8:00am - 5:00pm Mon -Fri, $105.00 

Emerg Road Svc Call-Reg Hrs./Per 1/2 Hr.  8:00am - 5:00 pm Mon - Fri $52.50                   Emerg Road Svc Call-After Hrs./Per Hr.  5:00pm - 8:00am Mon – Sun & Holidays         $125.00

Emerg Road Svc Call-After Hrs./Per 1/2 Hr.  5:00pm - 8:00am Mon – Sun & Holidays   $  62.50

Supply Point may elect to charge a 2 hours minimum for afterhours emergency service call. 

NOTE: All service charges are PER HOUR (or half hour) and INCLUDE at NO EXTRA COST: 1. Miscellaneous road service labor charges such as flat repairs (incl. standard patch and cement) up to 3/8” diameter 2. Mounts and Dismounts Charges for MATERIALS used may be assessed: 1. Valve Hardware 2. Studs 3. Tubes, etc.

Most have a short distance as standard and it is extra mileage $$$ after that.

Bill 

On 11/5/2017 at 10:28 AM, WILDEBILL308 said:

Bill, You may want to call around and get a better idea of how places charge. This is from QualityCo.com.

BASIC ROAD SERVICES

Emerg Road Svc Call-Reg Hrs./Per Hr.  8:00am - 5:00pm Mon -Fri, $105.00 

Emerg Road Svc Call-Reg Hrs./Per 1/2 Hr.  8:00am - 5:00 pm Mon - Fri $52.50                   Emerg Road Svc Call-After Hrs./Per Hr.  5:00pm - 8:00am Mon – Sun & Holidays         $125.00

Emerg Road Svc Call-After Hrs./Per 1/2 Hr.  5:00pm - 8:00am Mon – Sun & Holidays   $  62.50

Supply Point may elect to charge a 2 hours minimum for afterhours emergency service call. 

NOTE: All service charges are PER HOUR (or half hour) and INCLUDE at NO EXTRA COST: 1. Miscellaneous road service labor charges such as flat repairs (incl. standard patch and cement) up to 3/8” diameter 2. Mounts and Dismounts Charges for MATERIALS used may be assessed: 1. Valve Hardware 2. Studs 3. Tubes, etc.

Most have a short distance as standard and it is extra mileage $$$ after that.

Bill 

Good info. I note they are including the proper "Patch' type repair that requires dismount and mount.  If "roadside" service would tell you they "plug" tires you might point out that by doing that un-approved method they are accepting responsibility for any subsequent failure or loss of warranty from the tire Mfg for the use of "improper" repair. Those that have attended my seminars know why plugs are not considered a proper repair.