Ljland60

Exterior Sealers: 1999 Fleetwood

Looking for info on body maintenance.

I am looking for info on sealing the exterior of our 1999 Fleetwood.

I am sure that other FMCA members would find a use for this info helpful. 

Ljland60,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Tell us a little more about your coach-- Fleetwood made a number of different coaches with some differences in exterior skin:  Is the exterior gel coated fiberglass or Filon (can you see fibers in the side, or is it very smooth)?

What do you mean when you say you are looking for information on sealing the exterior? Do you have leaks?  Do you know where these are? Is the entire coach of concern?  Any additional details (plus what Brett mentions above) would be helpful.

The coach is an American Eagle executive edition. I need to seal lap joints and trim pieces on the sides of the exterior and. I have read online to not use silicone sealant. The previous owner use clear silicone. It has turned yellow & looks like crap. I would like to us a clear sealant with a good UV rating that wont turn yellow over time. The roof is RV armor sealed and has a lifetime warranty.

Exterior sealer on a AC Eagle 99.

Since you don't want to use silicon, then I suggest you call REV group tech department and ask what they recommend.  I'm also concerned as to why you need to re seal lap joints after other owner did same...do you have any indication of leaks?

No known leaks but the ends of the lap joints at the trim pieces are missing the end caps.

I don't want to have any water issues in the future at the end joints on the trim.

A silicone material used on my coach and just gets dirty, does not yellow. Proflex is a silicone, good stuff does not yellow.

Carl, read the op's question he stated why he wants to change it.:(:P

The key to good results with any sealant is surface prep. You have to get all the old sealant off and clean. I use as atone as my final step.

Bill 

Google Sikaflex sealant, the aircraft and trucking industry have used it for years, I use it also and have had no issues over the past ten years.

Since you already have silicone on there, you have to ensure what ever you use will stick to silicone.  Unless you are able to completely remove the existing caulk (and I mean completely) , many caulks like Dicor (my favorite) will not stick.  Just be sure to check the compatibility.  Good luck with the project.