NASCAR97

Waste Tank Heater Question: 2017 Discovery LXE

Hello to all gurus.........

Just purchased a new 2017 Discovery LXE a big upgrade from our TT!! Since the Dealer is absolutely clueless I'm looking for help, and the 20# of manuals are of no help either!!

Here's the question....... In the small cabinet next to the sink (used for sink cut outs) is a 110v plug laying in the bottom with a plastic safety cover on it. It has a big red tag on it. After some research the info on the tag is a company name that sells tank heaters.........Afraid to just plug it in not knowing exactly what its for!!

Now here's the really fun part...... In the process and effort to sort out a t.v. /sat/ cable issue at our first stop in Arizona, the fireplace was removed to gain access to, which turned out to be the hiding places for all  Sat cables and HDMI boxes...... problem solved!!.........well not really.......ANOTHER 110V CORD WITH A RED TAG ON IT !!! Exactly like the one in the cabinet, just laying in the mess of spaghetti wiring just rolled up an thrown in the cavity next to an outlet :mellow:

So I get the one in the cabinet...... Reach in and plug it in if needed. BUT, Don't forget it!! Even tho this beautiful coach has buttons to do everything for ya, having to take the entire fireplace out to plug another one in??? What was some (******) thinking!!

So are the 110v cables for waste take heaters, does the Discovery even have tank heaters (my T.T. did), why is one hidden behind the fireplace, are they for something else, shouldn't there be a switch some where after there plugged in to operate the circuit, O.B.T.W. it did get down to 16 Degrees in Angle Fire Camp Ground in Az. for two nights!!, don't think the coach heater really services the basement bays or does will it at that temp??

Any help greatly appreciated, Thanks Steve

NASCAR, welcome to the Forum. In most Motor Homes the electrical you see is most always neat and orderly. However what you can't see is as you spaghetti. It seems to be easier to do the wiring with enough extra length of wire to be able do the job sitting in a recliner then shove it all into a hidden space.🙄

Give Fleetwood tech service a call. Who knows you might someone who know about the heater.

Herman 

Both our last and our current motorhome wet bays were or are heated by the rear propane powered furnace. Not by electric tank heaters. Our current diesel block heater was not discovered by the previous owner. After a phone call, he said that he thought that there was a block heater but he apparently knew little about it. We needed it because we were in Colorado in November. I crawled around underneath and noticed wiring coming from an obvious block heater on our 330 Caterpillar diesel. Low and behold, after lifting the bed I discovered a male plug the should have been plugged into an under the bed outlet that is controlled by a wall switch under the outside of the bed frame. Could Tiffin have plugged the heater in at the factory and put a notice about it's existence in the manual? 

I feel your pain. Owning a motorhome is a project of DISCOVERY!

2 hours ago, ObedB said:

I feel your pain. Owning a motorhome is a project of DISCOVERY!

Yes it is, yes it is. The standard is there is no standard.:P

Bill

4 hours ago, NASCAR97 said:

Just purchased a new 2017 Discovery LXE

Hence the name "DISCOVERY":rolleyes: , LOL, now we know where the name was derived from. Welcome to the forum Steve, since no one else has welcomed you yet, and happy holidays to all.

Steve, Yes Welcome to the FMCA Forum!

The LXE coach comes in a number of models. Could you posts if it is an E, D, G, K, X or some other variant? That will offer the floor plan you have and the floorplan changes the electrical wiring.

You might give Fleetwood / Rev group a call and talk to the Technical Department. Using the FIN number of the coach, ask if you can get the Electrical wiring PDF files for the unit.

Also, night want to ask what the extra plugs are for.

Rich. 

Tank heather

Steve, welcome!

Did your unit have a dishwasher option or you have one? It may be for that.  Some where in your owners paperwork, there are instruction manuals for all the non Fleetwood products installed in your coach.  If you don't have them, get it from the dealer.  Is the Dealer you bought the coach from, a Fleetwood Dealer?  Please let us know who the Dealer is!  Did you have a PDI and walk around before you drove out?

7 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

Hence the name "DISCOVERY":rolleyes: , LOL, now we know where the name was derived from. Welcome to the forum Steve, since no one else has welcomed you yet, and happy holidays to all.

I am pretty sure that the very first response to the OP from Herman included that welcome but more than 1 is OK, too.