richard5933

Winegard Roadstar TV Antenna Install Question

I'm going to be installing a new TV antenna on the coach, a Winegard Roadstar. It's a pretty basic over-the-air antenna, and it should be good enough to catch the morning news.

You can see details here if you are not familiar: http://www.winegard.com/roadstar

The instructions give two options for routing the cable from the antenna through the roof. The first option is to route it through the center of the mounting base and directly through a hole in the roof. We can't do that since it would put the cable in the ceiling of our bedroom.

The second option is to route the cable through a slot in the side of the base and through the roof at a location away from the antenna. We're going to do this since we want to have the cable entry point about 5 feet away from the antenna itself.

Here's the question...

The instructions for the second installation option call for making a 5" loop in the coax cable about 4" from the base of the antenna and then to secure the loop to the roof. So, instead of a nice neat and tidy straight run of coax down the center of the roof, they are calling for me to make a loop in the cable and make the install look sloppy (there will be no way to make the cable loop look like it belongs up there, while a straight run of cable could be run along a roof seam and blend in.) You can see this in the instructions on page 5 if you follow the link above.

I can't for the life of me figure out why the loop is called for in the instructions, other than possibly to accommodate and expansion/contraction in the cable and/or the roof as the vehicle and air temps rise and fall. I know a drip loop is often used when cable is installed on a house, but that can't be the reason for the loop in this case since it will be clamped tight to the roof.

Anyone have any clue what this loop is for and if it's necessary? I'd love to install without the loop, but don't want to sacrifice function for looks and will do it if absolutely necessary.

If it were me, and I have a TV in the bedroom, I'd drop it into the bedroom and put a splitter on the line. One for the bedroom and the existing line from the present TV antenna to the living room.

I'm making some assumptions here.

Do you have a present TV antenna?

Not sure about the loop but I'd call them and ask why. They have been responsive for me.

This is replacing our current antenna, which for some inexplicable reason was mounted under the rear cap (which is steel on our coach). Nearly zero reception, which is why I am putting the new one on the roof.

I plan to call them, but hoped someone here had real world experience with this.

Apples and Oranges.  You are not a fiberglass roof, therefor you do not have the contractions and twist to be a concern...I would run it the way you want...They was not around in 1974.

Richard,

If I understand it the reason for the loop is they are thinking that you will have excess cable when mounting based on Mounting Option 2. Option 1 is for mounting the unit over the entrance to the roof for the coax. They assume (and we all know what happen we assume:wub:) you are going to have excess cable when you mount in one place and enter the roof some where else. That's my story and I'm sticking to to.:wacko:

By the way I am interested in how the unit works. I need an over the air antenna and it just may be the one.

Herman

I finally was able to make contact with Winegard. The sole purpose for the loop tacked to the roof is to allow for extra cable should the mounting base ever need to be lifted off the roof for some reason. Since I can always just replace the cable should I have need, I'll be installing it with a straight run of cable to keep things looking tidy.

I'll report back once the antenna is mounted to let people know about the quality of the reception. Since our current antenna is a 1970s-era model designed to be mounted on a yacht high above the sea, and since it's tucked inside the rear cap of our bus (which is metal), just about anything would be an improvement over the reception I get right now. Actually, I'm surprised I can get any reception at all.