fagnaml

Power Distribution Panel & Annual Wire Maintenance

First I want to thank the forum for the fantastic responses about my bad ATS experience and the advice on annual "bus-bar" screws tightening maintenance.  In that posting there is good discussion about performing the same annual "wire tightening" maintenance in the power distribution panel.  To get advice I need I'm starting a new thread on that topic.

My power distribution panel looks similar to the attached image I found through "googling" (I don't have a photo nor manufacturer of my distribution panel).   Under the breaker switches in my panel is the diagram that labels each service for each breaker switch.  The attached image suggests that 'label panel' can be removed to find the bus-bar for all of the wires entering/leaving the power distribution panel -- correct??   The annual maintenance is then re-torqueing each screw in the bus-bar to the torque requirement specified by the power distribution panel manufacturer.   Is this the proper view of the annual maintenance that should be performed ?

Do wire connections at each 120 volt outlet need to be checked periodically?   What about wire connections at my two roof top air conditioners and at the water heater (which are the only other 120 volt users beyond the outlets). 

The forum's guidance please!   Forgive me for being a slow learner in Motorhome 101 Class...

power distribution panel.jpg

power distribution panel-1.jpg

Yes, you have it correctly identified-- remove the outer panel to access the screws. 

The picture you posted has both 120 VAC (the breakers) and 12 VDC (the fuses) in the same enclosure.  Yours may be like that or in separate areas.  Procedure is the same either way.

And, as you posted, be sure shore power is disconnected, generator off, inverter off.

Mike, I have not seen any negative or problem issues with the roof AC or water heater wiring caused by loose connection at the connections at those items.

The real issue is at the main power panels, the transfer switch and the generator "J" Box interface wiring between the generators and the coach wiring going to the Automatic transfer switches.   The only other item that has come up from time to time is the ground wire that connects the generator ground to the Chassis has failed or come loose.

All are considered high current points that need to be checked and serviced as needed.

Just added this PDF file that might help understand the 120 volt electrical wiring for a 50 amp system, a 30 amp is slightly different.

Rich.

Typical 50 Amp power distribution layout.pdf

Electrical outlets (or ours anyway) the wires snap in with a crimp locking device, those aren't coming loose. I pull these two covers every year and the transfer switch cover and check all connections. I also check the two lugs on the 12v panel.

Rich, generator ground is one I hadn't thought of, thanks for the tip!

IMG_2160.JPG

IMG_2159.JPG

Joe, believe it or not,  Fleetwood has some recalls out on some of there coaches - because the spring that locks the breakers fails and can cause arching and panel damage.. With the recall there could have been a fire or 2 that did not come out!

Rich.

Thanks everyone for the prompt responses! 

Rich --

I don't know if my motorhome has a "J" (junction?) box and thus have no idea where to look.   In the driver side rear compartment where my ATS resides I have the cord from the generator to the ATS, the shore power cord to the ATS, and then the cord from the ATS that goes to the power distribution panel located in the bedroom wall on the passenger side of my motorhome.    My converter is located in the passenger side  rear compartment below the floor where the power distribution panel is located.  I guess there could be a junction box in that compartment to route wires to the power distribution panel and converter (??).  Could you / the forum offer some suggestions of where to look for junction boxes? .

In all likelihood the box in your picture is the only junction box for your coach because it contains both 12 volt and 240/120 volts. Though I doubt any 240 volt devices, the main breaker in the center is 240 volts, that's where L1 and L2 are split to provide 120 off of each leg of the main. Be sure to include the 12 volt and 120 volt terminals on your inverter. The rooftop AC's are joined with wire nuts in most cases to pigtails that are supplied by the AC manufacture, and are usually taped pretty well to avoid them unscrewing, also the AC pigtail and the wire from your circuit breaker should both be copper which means they are similar metals and are less likely to have expand because of heat and shrink. The metals in those junction boxes are usually brass with metal screws, all dissimilar metals which have the heat and shrink possibility. Just one other precaution, never ground any 240/120 device or junction box to the chassis of your coach, that grounding must be handled at the CG pedestal or if at your home the same applies, neutral and ground are never bonded after the main entrance of the power source. If this situation arises there is possibility of electrical shock, or tingle if someone is standing outside, especially if in wet conditions, and will cause havoc with LED lighting and instruments that rely on your 12 volt system for 12 volt negative.

Mike, I have the cord from the generator to the ATS,  Because the generators need to be removed for service at times, it is hard for me to see them running the power cable from the gen all the way to the ATS. Not impossible though.

The J box for the generator is located up front real close to where the generator is - because the Onan generators power output is on the left side as you look at it from the front. and the box is mounted on or near the top of the front fire wall. The generator feed - should kind of stand out as it is a flexible link from the genset to the J box.

I guess there could be a junction box in that compartment to route wires to the power distribution panel and converter. Most inverters have 2 circuit brakes that feed 2 circuits in the coaches(Bypassing the sub panel) or one 30 amp breaker that feeds a sub panel - 1-30 amp cable would be 10 gauge. The power to the inverter runs from the main circuit panel, will be a 10 gauge wire with a designated circuit breaker.

The Wires to and from the inverter are located behind a removable cover on  the inverter.  There is a bus bar for the grounds and one for common feeds, plus screw terminals for the black wire (The hot side.) for both the input side and the output side, that information should be in you owner / user  manual.

Rich.