With both Sprint and Verizon as choices. What is the best choice? Looking to get something before next extended trip.

It has been our experience that Verizon has the best overall Nationwide coverage. The Verizon plan offered by FMCA does require a 2-year contract while the Sprint plan does not. Much depends on where you plan on traveling. I recommend checking out MobileInternetInfo.com for the most comprehensive information.

We have both Verizon and Sprint.  The Verizon will work in about 90% of the places we go and Sprint about 50%.  When Verizon doesn't work only about 5% of the time will Sprint work.  When Sprint won't work Verizon will in about 95% of the time.

When I log into the Verizon site, the actual MiFi device only rates two stars (limited number of reviewers).  It's really the only thing that holding me back from committing to the Verizon plan (I need some type of on board WiFi capability since we are going full time in November).  The comments on the Verizon site reference frequent data dropouts and connection problems.  As is noted in the comments above, connections are highly dependent on the number of people accessing the network at any given time.  Perhaps the commenters are using the capability for business purposes that would make ANY dropout problematic.  We won't be using the service like that, but downloading movies and such would be annoying if the system won't stay up.  I agree that Verizon has the best nationwide coverage.   Are there other solutions I should look at before committing for two years?  We already have unlimited data plans (thanks to the kids....) on our phones and that service is already provided by Verizon....

7 hours ago, 14Fleetwood said:

When I log into the Verizon site, the actual MiFi device only rates two stars (limited number of reviewers).  It's really the only thing that holding me back from committing to the Verizon plan (I need some type of on board WiFi capability since we are going full time in November).  The comments on the Verizon site reference frequent data dropouts and connection problems.  As is noted in the comments above, connections are highly dependent on the number of people accessing the network at any given time.  Perhaps the commenters are using the capability for business purposes that would make ANY dropout problematic.  We won't be using the service like that, but downloading movies and such would be annoying if the system won't stay up.  I agree that Verizon has the best nationwide coverage.   Are there other solutions I should look at before committing for two years?  We already have unlimited data plans (thanks to the kids....) on our phones and that service is already provided by Verizon....

If you are talking about the 8800L jetpack, it did have some significant problems with dropping signal and rebooting.  I've got one, and it got to the point that it was rebooting as often as every 2 to 5 minutes.  I was about ready to throw it out.  Then, a few weeks ago, Verizon rolled out a software update, and since then it's been smooth sailing.  I've been all over the country from FL to CO since then, and haven't had any issues with the 8800L since the software update.  In fact, it performs a lot better than my previous jetpack, a 7730L, with faster download speed and less buffering.  On my plan, I do have to put up with network management, but it hasn't been much of a problem unless I am in a highly populated area and the tower is swamped with users.

On 6/7/2018 at 5:23 PM, REDFISH4U said:

With both Sprint and Verizon as choices. What is the best choice? Looking to get something before next extended trip.

I went with 'Togo Roadlink C2, 4G LTE Router and WiFi Extender. Pulls in public/private WiFi for a better connection and Unlimited Cellular Data with AT&T $360.00 per year. Could not be happier with my choice.

DaJoLo,

If I might ask, approximately how much was the hardware for your solution?  I'm unsure about investing a lot in a 4G solution when 5G is "right around the corner".  I understand the 4G equipment available today would not be able to take advantage of the faster 5G network.  I suppose I have the same problem with the MiFi 8800L jetpack, but through FMCA, I get that for a penny.  Granted, I understand that the Verizon service costs $600/year…..

In addition, my research shows AT&T is excellent on the east coast, but not so good as you move west (generally, I know!); have you found that to be problematic?

Thanks!

14Fleetwood,

You can pickup the Togo Roadlink from Winegard, Walmart.com, or https://rv.runswithtogo.com/product/togo-roadlink-c2/

Yes 5G is right around the corner which is supposed to be a great increase in everything, including cost. The internet is actually pretty speedy, have no problems streaming media or video calls with family. Not throttled and is $360.00 per year for unlimited. Verizon does have better coverage out in the western US, however with 3 high gain cellular and 2 high gain WiFi antennae, I have not seen much of a problem most anywhere. I been in several parks that have WiFi just not where most campers are, yet I have connected to their WiFi with no problems wile those around my rig were being dropped off because of low connect strength. Honestly speaking, 5G is not something I think is a must on my RV, even though I am full timer-nomad (no home base). Another thing to think about is the cell towers. For years RVers have been told that Verizon was the way to go, so they did, when you get into a park that is covered by 1 cell tower and 70% of the people in there are using it, network traffic is going to slow down for everyone. 

Also keep in mind that the Verizon plan is not really unlimited. After 25G it is throttled back and barely usable. If you plan on downloaded movies you will burn through 25G really fast and have to wait until the end of your cycle to be able to use it again.

My plan reboots on the 16th of every month and as of today we have used over 15G so not sure we will make it. We never download movies and use this data by only visiting sites on internet and some small games which do not take a lot of data. Can never understand how we use so much but we do.