gpippins

Starter relay location

I have a 2004 Coachmen Cross Country w/300hp Cummins and freightliner xc chassis. When I turn the key to the on position everything powers up fine but when I turn the key to start the engine it does not crank. To date, if I continue to try it will eventually start. Sometimes it starts on the second try, sometimes on the 7th, I never know. I'm thinking the starter relay may be the problem but I can't find it. If anyone has a Cross Country and knows where it is please let me know. Thanks

Thank you very much. I have looked everywhere and I just can't see it. I've even traced the large wire from the starter back and it goes above the frame near the batteries and over toward the passenger side electrical box.

gpippin,

If it were me i would first see if I have power to the small post on the solenoid. If there is power to the terminal with the key on I would then check to see if I have power on both sides of the solenoid. What you are describing sound just like a bad solenoid. If it is be sure to get a 12 volt continuous solenoid. If I remember correctly it is #55 solenoid.

Herman 

Thank you. I will test after work. The thing is, if it is a bad solenoid, its the third bad one I've had because I've replaced the starter and solenoid twice since I bought the RV in 2013.  The most recent replacement was last fall because, like you, I thought solenoid.

Herman, Question! Think that Gpippins is talking about the  starter relay that energizes only in the start mode, not the ACC relay that is continually energized.  

The relay used on the freightliner chassis is most often mounted where DD mentioned and the small wires come from the ignition switch and the relay contacts with the big wires runs to the starter solenoid. 

Castle Relay ignition circuit picture - connected between the starter solenoid and the ignition switch.

Rich. 

IMG_1119.JPG

I believe that the ignition switch is his meaning. You could use a mechanic starter switch to test that theory, if it works correctly then the switch would be the most likely culprit, as long as there is no other relay between the switch and the starter solenoid.

Ok, I traced the small wire from the starter solenoid as 69 suggested. I didn't have to trace far. Within 6 inches It disappeared into a large wire protector with other wires that seem to continue toward the front. The only thing I can find that looks like a relay anywhere is under the hood behind the dash. Could this be the starter relay? Thoughts?

With proper safety stands in place, you can use a voltmeter to check:

Have someone turn the key (as if to start) while you monitor voltage to that terminal on the starter. That will tell you if the proper 12 VDC positive is reaching it.

You can do the same thing from the ignition switch end-- see if the switch is sending the proper 12 VDC signal when the key is turned to the start position.

Does your starter look like this? If so the solenoid is that protrusion on the starter, all you need is 12 volts to the small terminal to start correctly, and this will only happen when the ign. is turned to the start position. See Brett's post above.

sdr0285-1__13510.1471330910[1].jpg

Since it is like the one pictured, if there is a starter relay, it may possibly be the one that you described under the dash. Using a volt meter, or a light bulb test, turn the ign. switch to start position and look for voltage on both sides of the relay. But most later models do not use a relay since there is such a small amount of current required to activate the solenoid. A mechanics start is simply a button with two wires attached usually with a clip lead on each wire, one side is hooked directly to a 12 volt power source, the other is attached to the small wire terminal on the solenoid. When you push the switch, it will activate the solenoid and cause the starter to work. If this is intermittent, then the problem will be within the solenoid or starter. If it works correctly, then go back to the ignition switch, or relay if there is one. Just please use all safety precautions when testing.