CaptainRon

I-70 from Missouri to I-15 in Nevada

Question

Has anyone taken their Motorhome across I-70 from Missouri to I-15 in Nevada through the mountains?? How was the road and getting through the mountains?? I have a 38 ft. Winnebago Adventurer towing a Jeep Cherokee. Would I have any trouble with taking this route??

6 answers to this question

There are some steep grades up and down once you get west of Denver but some beautiful scenery through Vail and then as you go through Glenwood Canyon. Once you get past Glenwood Springs I don't remember there being anything scary.  The road from Denver all the way to I-15 is all 4 lane highway and easy to drive this time of year as long as you take your time. Coming out of the Eisenhower tunnel is a steep grade down for several miles but as long as you keep your speed under control it should not be an issue.

There is a 100 mile stretch in Utah that I remember there are no fuel stations so make sure you have enough

Enjoy 

Do not run west of Denver on a Friday. The traffic is such a mess that you will not be able to enjoy the scenery. People are headed to their cabins, preferred weekend resorts, whatever. Westbound, do it earlier in the week or maybe a Sunday when the weekenders are headed home.

There are some hard pulls and some down grades to be careful on.  There is a pretty good pull west of Green River Utah and the downgrade on that one can get you rocking if not careful. All in all, a very scenic drive.

Where in Nevada are you going?  I-70 ends in Utah at I-15.  If you are going to central NV, pick up US-50 on Salina, UT to US-6 in Delta, UT.

Just be careful once you get west of Denver.  You have some long steep climbs and drops.  Going downhill slow down, get into a lower gear so the engine braking does most of the work.  If you ride your brakes at 55-60mph you will likely overheat your brakes, experience brake fade and have serious problems. Manually shift into 3rd gear and 40mph if need be.  Going up hill, downshift early to keep your RPM's up to the 3500-4500 range to keep from overheating the transmission & engine.