marysteeves

looking for freightliner/cummins dealer in northeast

We have an 2009 Mandalay 43A. It has a cummins 425HP engine and freight liner chassis. The engine light is on, engine code J1939, ABS light is on, speedometer gauge periodically goes from miles per hour to zero while driving. Turbo pressure reads nil and is ---. 

Currently in fredericton NB, today we went to peterbilt shop/cummins dealer. They say we need to go to a freight liner dealers read codes? Heading to Arizona via Maine, Massachusetts,etc. Looking for advice on repair/service shop that should be able to assist. Any help would be appreciated.

marysteeves, The J 1939 is indication of a data network issue. Is the coach transmission operating Normally?

The other questions are  what gauges do you have? Fuel level, Oil pressure, Water temperature and Battery voltage. What else ?

Do you travel with a GPS system? this should give you road speed. The gauges I mentioned are critical. One of the members on the forum is a certified Diesel Mechanic. 

Thinking Joe will chime in. He is located in Southeastern Pa. Also a Diesel  owner. Good source of information and real close to the RT. you will be taking. Also, Freightliner Factory Service main service center is located in Gaffney  S.C. They have a parking lot for the Coaches with shore power, water and a dump station.

You might want to give them a call and see if they could squeeze you in, you will need the coach Vin number specifically the last 6.

Phone #1-855-253-0421, 103 Campus Drive

Rich.

Marysteeves, if you are headed through PA we have a good Freightliner dealer in Lancaster PA. Send me a PM if you are going to go there, ill call the service manager. We had lunch last week and speak several times a week with the fleet at work.

Address: 1675 Rohrerstown Rd, Lancaster, PA 17601
HoursOpen ⋅ Closes 11:30PM 
Phone: (717) 581-3480

Sounds like a wiring harness/poor connection issue, J1939 codes are very common on Freightliner products as are wiring harness issues. 

I have the check engine light on for the past 400+ miles...no code's, all gauges working, no Allison code...figure a loss connection in ECM or bad/loss ground...will look at it today, when it get's above 60 degrees! :) Cummings 425 on Spartan K2.

Joe knows his "stuff," and I'm going to agree with him. (Smooth talking Devil, me.)  My coach several years ago needed the air gauge replaced. When I picked it up and started down the road my tach, speedometer, etc just stopped working. Turned around and went back. To make a long story short, the said the harness cable was not "clicked" into place.

Do the wiggle check under the dash and see what falls out.

I had a similar problem on a 2007 Freightliner/Cummins. Freightliner sent me a wiring harness with different connectors on it. The wiring is daisy chained so it doesn't matter what order the connections are made. This was a big problem in the 2007-2009 era.