mailman

WHO HAS VISITED NOVA SCOTIA

Question

HELP is needed to go outside the USA to Nova Scotia.

We have a Winnebago Cambria Class C 32 ft. long 3 sildes 2014.

We tow a car for use as we travel.

I am looking to a wonderful time this 2019. Sounds like camping starts around May to October.

So the problem is where do we go.?  This is a special time 50 years married. 

We have to start planing very soon, we understand a lot of campers go there.

You may send  a message direct to me via FMCA or share with forum .

Tim the Mailman

21 answers to this question

Go to Blogs and there should be one there by Tom Butler.  He has traveled that area and the rest of the Maritime extensively.  If you don't find it, send him a PM.  We are going with Fantasy Tours for 2 months next  summer.

Try page 6 on Blogs!

We actually visited Nova Scotia in 2003 with our travel trailer.  We started the trip in Georgia, and worked our way to Maine, where we spent a week in Acadia National Park, before traveling to Nova Scotia.  Once in Nova Scotia, we decided to take the northern route from Truro, and stayed on all the coastal roads.  We had a blast visiting all the small towns and villages along the coast, our only regret is we ran out of time, so we couldn't make it to Halifax.  However, the small towns and villages more than made up for missing the remainder of the country.  From Cape George to Port Hood, to Meat Cover (one of our favorites), and Glace Bay, we had a a great time, just sorry we ran out of time. I know this was 15 years ago, but I'm certain the roads and camp sites are better today.  Will likely add another trip to Nova Scotia in the future.

It depends upon how much time you have and how you are going to get there. We have made several trips via the land route which include stops in Moncton tonsee the tidal bore, PEI attend a Ceileigh (kitchen party with traditional Orish music and some have a dinner), if you go to Truro and have the time consider a side trip to Newfoundland. We took our Class A with a Jeep GC in Tow and our Labradoodle. We booked an overnight trip with a stateroom, our ‘doodle stayed in the coach. The round trip ferry, including the coach, toad, stateroom was under $800.

There is also a high speed ferry from Maine to NS but it is expensive and was shut down for a bit a few years ago.

If you want more specific data let me know.

Dave

We just planned this trip for Aug. 17th to 24th. Most likely stay at the Seabreeze. It's about a 12 hr drive from our house in NH. We will stop

outside of St. Stephen for the night then continue. Wow, we are finally going to tow the toad on a dolly! Maybe "run" into some peeps from here.

Let me see if I can find Tom's blog. (The only thing I can navigate is the boat)

David 

1 hour ago, DBenoit said:

Most likely stay at the Seabreeze. It's about a 12 hr drive from our house in NH. We will stop outside of St. Stephen for the night then continue.

???? there is a place called Seabreeze about every 2ed mile on the North East coast and which St. Stephen? 

If you are in the Eastport area you should stop at Roosevelt Campobello International Park.

The last time I was in the area we stayed at Seaview Campground & Cottages, 16 Norwood Rd, Eastport, ME 0463, eastportmaine.com, (207) 853-4471. The most eastern (Down East) place you can camp in the US.

Make shure you have a rider for your phone service. You could pick up a Canadian tower and not know it. 

Bill

Happy New Year. Fill your fuel tank before you cross into Canada. 😉

If you are going to be in the area you absolutely need to visit Hansom House

this restaurant. It is in a great old house that belonged to one of George Washington's Generals. It is only open on Friday and Saturday. You need to see this place. 

45 Main St, Beautiful Yellow Farmhouse, Dennysville, ME 04628-4300, +1 207-726-4466

The bar is a re-creation of the famous bar of the same name in Southampton, Long Island and run by the original owner. The stain glass and ceiling sculpture are unlike anything you might have seen before.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g40591-d8526013-Reviews-Hansom_House-Dennysville_Maine.html

Don't miss Ray's Mustard in Eastport. 

Bill

David 

It was thinking  about maybe sometime first two weeks  of May.

But in research , I think we might have to consider  June..

I am open to any comments by anyone about time to go that have done this trip.

You may private message via fmca.

Bill, yes full tank of gas , is getting gas or diesel hard to find? 

In 300 miles I would have to refill. We have a Class C  Ford v-10 E-450 32 ft.

Tim the mailman

Tim, not hard to find.  Just very expensive!!!  I burn Diesel, but regular gas was around $1.80 a litter, they don't go by Gallons!  It's 3.785 Litters=1 gallon=$6.80! :blink:  We are going in with a full tank, 188 gallons...I figure it will cost me about $1+ per mile, after the first Canadian fill up! :P:wacko:

I had everything laid out for August. Now the "queen" just mentioned PEI instead. Geez, she's killing me here.

Carl, hate to have to be the one to point this out but your pricing is off.

Gas today is currently just under $1.00 CAD.  That about $3.78 per gallon CAD.  At today's exchange rate of $1.357 USD to CAD, the in USD is $2.78 per gallon.

Now that is still more expensive than in the US. its $2.26 per gallon in Maine,  but the good news is that Halifax is only about 340 miles from the border of Maine, so Tim will likely only have to buy a tank or so at the $.50 per gallon price differential.

I got this information off Gasbuddy, Gas in Ottawa is 89.9 to 99.9 per litter. Diesel is 95.9 to 128.9 per liter. It cost $55.00 to fill the CRV last summer in Ottawa. Last fill up was $20.57 here. I made it back to the states without buying diesel last summer. 

13 hours ago, IanBullock said:

At today's exchange rate of $1.357 USD to CAD,

I just looked the current exchange rate is 0.741843 to the US dollar. What I find interesting is it changes daily.

https://www.bankofcanada.ca/rates/exchange/currency-converter/?lookupPage=lookup_currency_converter_2017.php&startRange=2009-01-03&rangeType=range&selectToFrom=to&convert=1.00&seriesFrom=Canadian+dollar&seriesTo[]=FXUSDCAD&rangeValue=1.w&dFrom=&dTo=&submit_button=Convert

Something I have done the last couple of trips is to make shure the credit card company knows I am traveling to Canada. So they don't shut off the card. :o I use my credit card and they pay the Canadian rate for the bill but charge my account the correct exchange rate (with a small charge). This saves trying to find places to get cash.

Whatever you do don't use a debit card as it will pay straight across. You lose the exchange rate benefit. You pay a $100.00 C. bar tab and it cost you an extra $35.70 US.

On 1/2/2019 at 2:41 PM, mailman said:

Bill, yes full tank of gas , is getting gas or diesel hard to find? 

No, I had no problem. I would start looking at 1/2 tank, it saves unnecessary stress. 

Bill

Ian.  Happy New Year!

I'm happy for the correction!  Forgot about exchange rate...now I feel better. :D Since I can run, without stress, a easy 1,000 miles between fill ups, I figure 3 in Canada!  The 2 big ticket items on this tour is the Ferry's...close to $3,000 for my rig & toad. Pre paid as part of Tour cost.  Linda is taking notes on RV Parks, in case we come back on our own, in a big rig!

Bill, my card is Credit/Debit, I never use pin#'s and the card adjust's for exchange rate in any money, be it Euros, Dollars or Yen!  I don't have to call anyone!  All currency, changes daily, some will change while your buying it. :P:( 

Do check with your,  Coach Insurance and Health Insurance.  Leave your bar at home.