f474120

Directv has launched its last satellite?

AT&T Communications CEO John Donovan announced in a conference call to investors that Directv will be moving its service to the streaming side of the house. They will not be buying any more satellites. How does this affect subscribers in rural areas that have no access to broadband internet? 

https://www.fiercevideo.com/cable/at-t-cfo-new-directv-service-will-be-self-installed-box-instead-truck-roll

Based on that report, it looks as though Directv will soon be defunct. Dish TV may soon be our only alternative. But indications that ATT is looking to have fiber in all areas? I was lucky to get U-verse at my house this year, but the speed is too slow for streaming, which means that if fiber is not installed to my house, and I doubt that will happen, I will be forced to Dish at some point.

The article indicates AT&T is focusing on its terrestrial customers who are switching to internet TV in droves to get away from cable and satellite service providers.  

I've been a Dish subscriber for longer than I can remember having switched to them from my old 8 ft dish.  Customer service is dead today in almost any company you care to mention.  Nothing boils my blood any faster than an "interactive voice response" system when I need to speak to an agent to resolve my issue.  Of course more often than not, that agent speaks in dialect that indicates they're from southeast Asia or the Philippines and communicating with them is impossible which only stokes my fire even more!

At least Dish now allows me to use my phone to send "re-authorization" to my receiver without speaking to anyone now.  If only I could change my service address to update my local channels,, I'd be a happy camper and wouldn't bother them at all.

I'm seeing ads for Hughes claiming no throttling.  Now if they could market that to RVers, they could pickup a lot of new customers who would like to enjoy connectivity off the grid. 

8 hours ago, Moonwink said:

I'm seeing ads for Hughes claiming no throttling.  Now if they could market that to RVers, they could pickup a lot of new customers who would like to enjoy connectivity off the grid. 

I suspect that is where it is all going. I had Direcpc then Hughesnet for 12 years, first satellite down and telephone up, that was awful but better than just telephone, then sat both directions, which was pretty good, but throttled after 256 meg in a 24 hour period. ATT is of course looking to change all service to streaming within a given period of time, so internet connection will be a must eventually.

Then we can all pay royalty $$$ to the inventor of the internet, Al Gore, he can add on another 56,000 sq. ft. to his current 56,000 sq. ft. house! 🤮:wacko: 

On 12/13/2018 at 6:25 PM, elkhartjim said:

Before you all panic, read this. 

https://www.sats2go.com/images/DirecTV-chages-2019.pdf

JIm, that was back then and the change to internet was Nov this year. Things may have changed.

WIth that said, I'm fed up with AT&T. Seems they just keep upping their price for service. I'm fortunate that I don't have DirecTV.  As for customer service at Dish, yes, it is a hassle to get to talk to some one but once I did I have never had a problem.  Speaking to a Supervisor one time she sent me an email that I quote to any representative when I am talking to them. Basically it states that when I am changing my ZIP code for local programing I DO NOT have to give a physical address.  This all came about when the very first time using local channel changes they changed my billing address.  Other than that one time I have not had a problem with Dish representatives. I always get my local channel change, just takes a few minutes.

Had DirecTV back in the early 80's. Switched to Dish and never looked back.

Wayne, our cost has not gone up!  I have AT&T for my phone and it went down 3 months ago, by $32 a month!!!  Our DIRECTV has not gone up...same amount for the past 8 years!  This is not 1980's anymore.  I have had DISH, try cancelling your service...took my Attorney letter, to DISH in Sydney, Australia to get it done...4 years ago!  I have a Post on that in this Forum!

17 minutes ago, manholt said:

I have had DISH, try cancelling your service...took my Attorney letter, to DISH in Sydney, Australia to get it done...4 years ago!  I have a Post on that in this Forum!

I tried to cancel my service with dish back in the early 90's, I was out of contract with them 4 years at the time, they continued to bill me for six months of which I paid them 2, then I said no more. Four months later with me calling each month that I no longer wanted their service and refusing to pay, they sent me a letter stating that I could never get their service again. I'll watch no more TV if I am ever down to no other way.

I have auto-pay and I'd just stop it at the bank once I notified them. No pay, no service/no service no pay. I would think after a few months they would get the idea.

Got the same payment method on all bills...can't do it on house tax.  Will never do it on IRS, but then I don't pay Fed Tax and they never send me the $2,000 a year!

Well we've managed to go from DirecTV changing for SD to HD broadcasts to the Ford/Chevy discussion on Direct vs Dish. 

Bottom line is if you want satellite tv in your RV you have to use Direct or Dish or Hughes. PIck your poison.

Jim S.  I don't see a thing in here about cars! :P

How long does a satellite stay in orbit, before it falls on earth?  If AT&T is launching it's last one, are we going to still be here, when it falls?:blink:

On ‎12‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 4:46 PM, manholt said:

Jim S.  I don't see a thing in here about cars! :P

How long does a satellite stay in orbit, before it falls on earth?  If AT&T is launching it's last one, are we going to still be here, when it falls?:blink:

Satellites have about a 15 year life span. Directv last launched "Directv 15" in 2015 and "Directv 14" in 2014. So, they could have sat coverage until 2030 or later. I suspect they will always have satellite coverage for folks in rural areas who cannot get broadband internet from terrestrial providers.