TTRV

2002 cat 3126 Journey DL will not start

58 minutes ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

Is that the long lost Keon Hayes'? Welcome back.

Bill

Shuuuu dont tell anyone! Especially that JLeamont GUY LOL!

Caterpillar tested the ECM today and it is dead as suspected, $80 for the test.  The good news is they gave me a 6 page printout of my ECM settings that were captured in 2017.   To come out to my RV 50 miles one way and replace and program with a new Caterpillar ECM is $4,598.  And that is after the core refund.  The two that helped me were very nice.  They didn't say it but pretty much agreed I should try the one in the other junker RV I mentioned.  They felt there may be some differences but no show stoppers.  My engine serial number is a CKM6123, the junker is 7AS76282.  Then I could drive it to them and the changes would be made to match my ECM configuration. 

Option 1 -- I will try the ECM out of the junker. 

In parallel I am googling for aftermarket, used whatever that would be willing to take the 6 pages of configuration and flash the ECM that I would purchase from them.

I feel CAT wanted to work with me however policy inhibits caterpillar to flash an ECM that is not in the vehicle.  Go figure.

It will be probably 4-5 days before I can get this accomplished.

15 minutes ago, TTRV said:

Caterpillar tested the ECM today and it is dead as suspected, $80 for the test.  The good news is they gave me a 6 page printout of my ECM settings that were captured in 2017.   To come out to my RV 50 miles one way and replace and program with a new Caterpillar ECM is $4,598.  And that is after the core refund.  The two that helped me were very nice.  They didn't say it but pretty much agreed I should try the one in the other junker RV I mentioned.  They felt there may be some differences but no show stoppers.  My engine serial number is a CKM6123, the junker is 7AS76282.  Then I could drive it to them and the changes would be made to match my ECM configuration. 

Option 1 -- I will try the ECM out of the junker. 

In parallel I am googling for aftermarket, used whatever that would be willing to take the 6 pages of configuration and flash the ECM that I would purchase from them.

I feel CAT wanted to work with me however policy inhibits caterpillar to flash an ECM that is not in the vehicle.  Go figure.

It will be probably 4-5 days before I can get this accomplished.

Sorry one last thing the superceded part number is 10R-3571.

TTRV, see if there is a place that you can mail yours to and have it repaired. Probably just the injector driver portion that has failed. Fairly common on CAT due to heat, couple that with an RV application and low air circulation around it to keep it cool and failures become more common. It would save you from any programming also.