somewhereinusa

Why should I stay?

My main reason for joining FMCA was the insurance rate was cheaper through them as long as I insured all of my vehicles through them. When I got my insurance bill this year it had gone up 36%. Did some shopping and my old ins. co came in at less than last year through FMCA.

My RV is a bus, designed and converted by myself. I know how it all works, the chassis is over 25 years old and, there is not likely to be any recall, or technical problems I can't handle. Much of the conversion is done with non "RV" parts, much of which I think are cheap plastic parts. I like gadgets as much as the next guy. I can lock and unlock the door, control the awnings(both sides) and turn on my flag and entrance lights with my phone. I have four zone hot water heat in the floor and mini split ACs.  Even with the discount Michelin tires are still too expensive.

I was planning on going to the National rally in Indy last year. When I saw how much it was going to cost, even though it was only 100 miles away I passed. Just too much money to see more expensive things and really expensive RV's. I scan through the magazine when it comes but, it too is about selling stuff, tech problems with the fancy systems. Now including towables.

I do belong to one local chapter but, many of their rallies are joint with a non FMCA group with the same interests.

Other than driving the bus home if something were to happen to me, and I have to be more than 100 miles from home, what other benefits are there to me?

somewhereintheusa.  A 7 year delayed, welcome to the Forum!

You joined in November of 2012!  What took you so long?  Indy rally was in 2017, Gillette rally was last year! :)

I'm truly sorry that after all this time, we did not meet your expectations!

Carl

somewhereintheusa, I cant tell you whats right or what to do but I will say that we joined a chapter in Texas and we live in PA, sounds crazy but we love to travel to Texas, with that being said I am planning our vacations around chapter rallies in the future. I would also like to say someone like yourself would be a huge help for fellow RV folks and I for one would love to sit and chat about the coach you built as I am a gadget guy also. Plus the team at FMCA While I cannot speak for them I am sure they are always looking for more benefits and such for the members. Whats not here today maybe here tomorrow, you just never know. I would also bet you would meet new friends on the forums alone, that I can say happens daily or at least begins to build a connection that one day blossoms into a life long friendship. 

Can you post photos of your coach and explain what is controlling your awnings that a smart phone app can operate it? Perhaps create another post in the "RV Photo gallery" section? I'd bet many of us on here would love to see it.

Welcome to the forum somewhereinusa. 

1 hour ago, somewhereinusa said:

My RV is a bus, designed and converted by myself.

More details, what bus? Where are you located?

1 hour ago, somewhereinusa said:

Even with the discount Michelin tires are still too expensive.

I agree, I went with the Continentals and saved over $100. each off the Michelin discount price.

Bill

Hello somewhereinusa, glad you finally joined the forum and welcome to the forum. I too converted my own bus and joined FMCA back in 2013, but immediately joined the forum. I don't use Michelin tires and have used other brands for many years. I don't subscribe to any insurance through FMCA either. But I have remained a member this long and paid up till 2021, and will renew when the time comes. I have many friends and come to know many through my former post's and thoroughly have enjoyed it. I have had my feelings hurt on several occasions by some of the rudest posters that asked a question and appeared to be seeking help and I asked a question so as to have a better understanding of their problem, and found that knew far more than I, and to overcome, I simply bow out of their conversation. I absolutely love the comradery that most on this forum have shared through the years. I am at work and started this post two hours ago and others have chimed in, so I wont bore anyone with some of my questions, just looking forward to knowing about your conversion, and what general area that you reside.

See somewhereintheusa, you have already met three  and now four folks you didn't know until now.

I don't know if you are working or retired but one of the best benefits FMCA has, at least to me, is FMCAisst. If you are not familiar with it please read up on it. It is worth ten times what your membership is and plus you get a great magazine and to top it all you get to participate on the Forum (which I will bet you have a lot of knowledge to share).

Sorry you missed Indy. it was a great rally. If you are every in the area where we are having a Rally you can always come in on a Passport which gives you everything but the Parking or even come in on a Day Pass where you are able to visit the Vendors and see all of the show coaches.

So hay stick around the "Best is Yet to Come" or something cornie like that.

Herman