manholt

Real ID Act of 2005

11 hours ago, manholt said:

hammer55.

One question?  How did she get the DL, that she now, have to renew?

well they came back to the US when she was a toddler and grew up in Nebraska, and got her license there back when she was 16 with her birth certificate from the Marshall Islands   

1 minute ago, manholt said:

Unless your DW is 21 or 26, she has had to renew it, since 16 !

yes,  not getting the point, now their not accepting the birth certificate  

It's possible to obtain/renew a driver's license in some states that is not Real ID compliant, even in states that are issuing Real ID licenses. Here in Wisconsin there are people who, for various reasons, don't want a Real ID. At least for now, there is no requirement for them to provide the necessary paperwork to upgrade, and they can continue to renew their old-style license. Of course, it won't have the star and won't be acceptable for certain things in the coming years barring any changes to the deadline/rules.

Indiana made the new drivers license mandatory in 2021, no exceptions. I got mine last year when the old one expired.  In Northern border states the new license doubles as a passport card for ground travel between CA and the U.S.A for work.

Texas is mandatory by 5 Oct. 2020...This is a Federal issue, not State!  Unless your in the New Republic of California, you can't tell the Feds, NO!

Actually, states tell the fed 'no' all the time. This is one of those areas where state's rights and federal rules come into conflict. It's also one of those things that gets some people really fired up. There was a big tumult when this thing was passed about it being the creation of a federal ID card, and even though this is not a federal ID there are people who don't want one.

The federal rules state that after the cut-off non-compliant IDs will not be valid for things like boarding an airplane or going into federal courthouses. The rules don't require anyone to actually have a compliant ID. With very rare exceptions, there is actually no requirement that anyone have any ID at all if they don't want one - but of course that will limit things like being able to drive, etc. To each his own.

My understanding of Wisconsin rules is that they will continue to issue non-compliant cards, although these will not be valid for federal purposes and will actually state "not for federal identification" on the face of them. The Wisconsin website states that holders of a non-compliant ID will need additional ID materials to serve federal purposes after the cutoff. If a purple state like Wisconsin is making non-compliant IDs available, I'm sure that there are other states doing the same. I've had a Real ID for a few years now, and to be honest don't have a strong opinion on this one either way other than it seems to add to the line wait times at the DMV while the clerks go through all the varieties of paperwork that are brought it.

47 minutes ago, richard5933 said:

to be honest don't have a strong opinion on this one either way other than it seems to add to the line wait times at the DMV while the clerks go through all the varieties of paperwork that are brought it.

Ditto! PA sent out letters with a list of what you needed to bring, I rounded it all up went and renewed my license. I might have been there 10 minutes longer and that could have been caused by some other reason. I only heard people complaining that couldn’t produce proper papers or failed to follow the instructions.