manholt

Real ID Act of 2005

This will affect every driver in all 50 States!  Effective October 1, 2020!!!  

This is a Federal Law, that sets Federal Standards for State issued drivers licenses and non-driver ID cards!  Mine is due for renewal 2/14/2019...the cost is the same as before!

Already have mine, PA version! When I made a license change on my CDL this year they provided me with the new Real Id license at the DMV. Sad part I don't look like the guy in the photo, they used my last photo from 2016 :ph34r::lol:

A quick search showed: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_ID_Act#External_links

Starting October 1, 2020 "every air traveler will need a REAL ID-compliant license, or another acceptable form of identification, for domestic air travel."[6]

As of December 2018, 40 states and territories have been certified as compliant, and 16 have been granted extensions.[7]

Shouldn't affect driving though. My understanding is that if your license is valid to drive in your home state you're good to go in all states as far as driving. If you live in a state still not issuing Real ID then federal buildings and air travel can be a problem, but a passport is a good work around since a US Passport is a Real ID and still be accepted for both.

Update for Texas. I got my drivers license renewed last week, since the old one did not have a "gold Star of Texas" on it, I had to bring my Passport with me, Linda also!  I don't know if that is the law for every state, but it is for Texas and a new DL will not be issued with out proof of who you are...by Pass Port or Certified Birth Certificate, if your born in USA!

Real ID act; state by state. All states must be compliant by Oct. 1, 2020. If your DL will expire before then take the required documentation with you to obtain  the compliant DL. Border states with Canada began issuing compliant DL right after the Act became law because many worked in one country and worked in the other.

Carl, same here in PA, I had to bring my Birth Certificate to renew. From what I read its all part of the Real Id program.

In Wisconsin it's still possible to get either a Read ID or a 'regular' one. Guess some people are leery of having the extra 'data' on their license, but at least around here all it means is that they verified legal residency in the US before issuing the license. I've had one for years.

The data, is not on your DL, just in the data base of the State, DMV.  On the DL is a symbol that verifies that your legal, in TX it's the gold 5 point star, about a 5/16" ! 

Just looked at my license and there was the Star in a gold circle. I guess it was put on when I last renewed. Don't remember having to provide any Birth Certificate. I didn't have a Passport the last time I renewed.

Maybe I'm just special.:wub:

Herman

1 hour ago, manholt said:

The data, is not on your DL, just in the data base of the State, DMV.  On the DL is a symbol that verifies that your legal, in TX it's the gold 5 point star, about a 5/16" ! 

I know that. It's the aluminum foil helmet crowd that pushes out bogus claims and fear of a national ID. The only difference in the license itself is that one also proves legal residency and the other only proves authorization to drive.

41 minutes ago, richard5933 said:

It's the aluminum foil helmet crowd that pushes out bogus claims and fear of a national ID. 

Richard,

I don't have an aluminum foil helmet I have a full fledged Aluminum Hard Hat. I wear it daily and have not had my mind altered by the government yet. my mind altered yet, my mid altered yet.  :lol: 

They were outlawed as a Safety Hat years ago. It was the standard for linemen for year until someone found out, all though not a good one, that Aluminum was a conductor of electricity. Opps! :rolleyes:

Herman