cogriffins

Tire blowout near Cooksville

48 minutes ago, desertdeals69 said:

My inner duals are machined Alcoa, I like the trueness of aluminum over the steel.  My spare is also machined Alcoa.  Of course the sides that show are polished.

Mine are also machined Alcoa, I put them on two years ago (pulled the steel's off) for that reason and the weight savings i.e. low rolling resistance = fuel savings. 

Cogriffins, what was the outcome and who came out to assist you? 

Thanks for that info. Always learn something new everyday.

Off topic- When I was in the army Alcoa was stamped on the bottom of the hull.....

5 hours ago, DBenoit said:

Thanks for that info. Always learn something new everyday.

Off topic- When I was in the army Alcoa was stamped on the bottom of the hull.....

Alcoa is a company.  Wheels is just a very small part of the things they manufacture.

4 hours ago, desertdeals69 said:

Alcoa is a company.  Wheels is just a very small part of the things they manufacture.

This is true, so is Accuride another company, who specializes in wheels made from Alcoa Aluminum.

I know this is a little latter than the beginning of the thread, but I had a similar experience on our maiden voyage with out 2019 Discovery in July. We had two valve stem problems. One was at Stone Mountain, GA and found a tire shop to take care of us at the campground. The second however was on  US20 in South Carolina, we had a valve stem break off. We spent hours trying to find someone to service us – no one would fix a tire on an RV! We finally called Love’s in Lexington, SC. While their trucks were all out, they would help us as long as we could get to there site. Being new to RV’ing, they assured me I could drive the 22 miles to their shop as long as I did not exceed 20 mph. Fortunately, the tire problem was an inside-rear tire. The service department personnel bent over backwards to help. Yes, they also had a problem getting a jack under the rear axel but by driving up on my ramps, they were able to get their jack under the axel and replace the tire stem. I just want to pass along that there are good people at Love’s.

I would be very uncomfortable driving on two tires when one was driven flat for 22 miles and where the other was exposed to being driven on when it was significantly overloaded. I would most likely replace both tires. 

20 hours ago, Elkhartjim said:

I would be very uncomfortable driving on two tires when one was driven flat for 22 miles and where the other was exposed to being driven on when it was significantly overloaded. I would most likely replace both tires. 

Most definitely. I unknowingly drove 11 miles with one rear dual flat. Doesn't matter the miles but the one that was not flat had a zipper blowout shortly thereafter.  With that blowout and only driving 1/4 mile I replaced both.