keithl

Parking Brake Sticky

I have started to go over my mh to prepare for summer trips I have a Damon essence diesel with air brakes.  I had it running last week-- pressure built up so I released the brake and it acted like it was stuck on. 

After i revved up the engine  it broke loose. I drove it to a shop to get oil and filters replaced it ran and acted fine. its  never acted like it before but I haven't

had it that long to know its only got 15k on it.

I went to move it again week later and it did it again, I only moved it about 100 feet this time the brakes made a noise like they were sticking or

or wanting to cling on. When I drive everything sounds fine just when I applied the brake.

I wasn't sure if humidity was playing a part or not it has been wet as of late even at storage building. 

Keith

I thought for sure they may have stuck but trucks ive driven with a similar brake before  once loose your OK.

But I've never received a chatter when applied after using  either

Where do you lube them? I haven't ever done that. 

keith

Keith, we have the same issue after the coach sits all winter. But that’s it, once a year. 

DD mentioned lubing the S cams, have the tubes and slack adjusters been adequately lubed? we are both assuming you have air drum brakes? The clevis pins can also seize where the push rod connects to the slack adjuster and cause issues. Depending on the brake shoe compound might accelerate them rusting to the drums. 

If it were me I’d pull the wheels and have a good inspection performed, S cam bushings checked for excessive play. I have seen many that will bind due to bad bushings.

They certainly shouldn’t wear out that soon but if never adequately lubed they certainly could fail in 15,000 miles.

If they are air disc let me know. They can be quirky also, just much more $$ to fix. 

When greasing brake components, be careful not to over do it or you"ll have grease on the brake shoes. If you can see the brake shoes from behind the dtums, check if you have a broken shoe.

That is why you see big trucks with the Skiddd indicators so they can tell if wheels are turning as it is common problem 

4 hours ago, richard5933 said:

When greasing brake components, be careful not to over do it or you"ll have grease on the brake shoes. If you can see the brake shoes from behind the dtums, check if you have a broken shoe.

When we bought our MH, I doubt the S-cams zerks had ever been used, my LF brake did the same thing, plus a loud pop. It took greasing, driving, greasing, driving, 3-4 times to eliminate the brake jerking the steering wheel hard left.

The S-cam housings have a weep hole for excess grease to escape instead of pushing into the drum area. The only problem with that is some commercial grease gun setups have too much pressure and volume, which can push grease past the seal into the drum area due to the small weep hole. I always use a hand gun for that reason.

Like you said, be careful! A little grease is good, too much is $$$$.

thank you all i will try and locate for lubing.  i am purchasing a set of tires 

so we can inspect the brake drum then 

keith