templeandgary

Lug Nut Torque

I have a couple questions about torquing my lug nuts.  I just bought a 45ft Entegra Insignia and the owners manual says that the lugnuts should be torqued from 450-500 every 50-150 miles.  Is it really necessary to torque them that often?  Seems unreasonable unless I misunderstand. Also, what is the cheapest tool I can purchase to accomplish this?  My torque wrench only goes up to 200 pounds

Thanks in advance for any help or advise.

8 hours ago, templeandgary said:

I have a couple questions about torquing my lug nuts.  I just bought a 45ft Entegra Insignia and the owners manual says that the lugnuts should be torqued from 450-500 every 50-150 miles.  Is it really necessary to torque them that often?  Seems unreasonable unless I misunderstand. Also, what is the cheapest tool I can purchase to accomplish this?  My torque wrench only goes up to 200 pounds

Thanks in advance for any help or advise.

Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

The torque check is like 50 to 150 miles after they have been rotated or replaced. Once they have been rechecked you should be able to drive them until the next time they are removed.

I have one that reads the required level. many tire shops use torque sticks, but a direct drive adjustable is not cheep.  

Check with some of the parts stores, some have tools for rent and you do not need them all the time. The road service trucks just take them off and seldom check for the correct torque. Some use the torque sticks. The 3/4 in. impact wrenches well exceed 700 Foot lbs. That kind of force can damage the lug and or the lug nuts.

The Diesel coaches often come with a connivance air supply, thing is some are preset to a max pressure of 65 lbs. one needs to ask and / or  check .

Rich.

BTW, same thing for aluminum wheels on "regular" vehicles. 

I had tires balanced and rotated recently on our family car.  Torqued the lug nuts (aluminum wheels) myself with Snap-on torque wrench before leaving the shop parking lot. 

Yesterday, re-checked torque-- same torque wrench, same setting.  Most were slightly (1/16 revolution or less) loose.  DONE.

Auto Zone lends tools free of charge. You must leave your CC info on file until you return the tool. I've done so several times for expensive tools I only use once a year or two. Back then if they didn't have the tool they even bought one to lend you.

if you add 36 inch extension length to your torque wrench set your torque to 164 that will be 475 on the lug nut. ac 43-13 aircraft inspection and repair under torque wrench computations

4 hours ago, F432347 said:

if you add 36 inch extension length to your torque wrench set your torque to 164 that will be 475 on the lug nut. ac 43-13 aircraft inspection and repair under torque wrench computations

Do you have an A / E background?

Rich.

look up torque wrench conversion chart. 

AC 43-13 1A aircraft inspection and repair also has this formula. you need about a 3 ft extension on your torque wrench 

The tire shop that installs your tire should retorque them for you...if not any truck maintenance shop would be able too.  Torque wrench multipliers are available online.