RayIN

rear brake overheated-Is it a covered item?

I have Stemco Oil Bath hubs on the tag axles on our Dynasty. I just checked them and saw that there are marks (rings) with one indicating LOW oil and one FULL.  I saw that the FULL mark was approx. half way between the bottom of the hub and center hole. I have filled them up to the bottom of the hole and cleaned everything. I want to see if I get some slinging of excess oil when over filled according to the marks on the hub face plate. Will relate the results after our trip to Minot.

Herman

54 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

I have Stemco Oil Bath hubs on the tag axles on our Dynasty.

I've got them on the steer axle on ours. 

13 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

I have Stemco Oil Bath hubs on the tag axles on our Dynasty. I just checked them and saw that there are marks (rings) with one indicating LOW oil and one FULL.  I saw that the FULL mark was approx. half way between the bottom of the hub and center hole. I have filled them up to the bottom of the hole and cleaned everything. I want to see if I get some slinging of excess oil when over filled according to the marks on the hub face plate. Will relate the results after our trip to Minot.

Herman

If overfilled, excess hub oil should be expelled out the small vent hole in the red rubber plug, however, if the hole is plugged or too small excess hub oil can be pushed past the inner seal onto the brakes. FWIW, hub oil is not the same formula as differential oil.

11 hours ago, RayIN said:

FWIW, hub oil is not the same formula as differential oil.

75w90 on my front hubs and Rear differential.

I am going to change my differential to Mobil Delvac 75w90 Synthetic Gear Oil. I am currently running Royal purple 75W90 in the front hubs. Mainly because I couldn't find the Mobile at the time.

Herman, what I have found it it takes a long time for the oil to settle into the berrings. I drained and refilled my front hubs. Then did it the next annuel to be shure I had all old oil and contaminants out. I had the front wheels up where I could rotate them. Do you have the little rubber plug for the vent hole?

Bill