plyberent

Engine up grades

I have a 2007 Fleetwood fiesta on a ford chassis  .i had na Barns cold air induction and headers installed and thinking of installing a 5star computer chip installed has any one installed one and is it worth the cost to improve performance

thanks

My suggestion is to  first determine the maximum torque rating of your transmission, that is usually the limiting factor for adding HP/torque. I once owned a 1996 Dodge CTD pickup, increased HP/torque. Three months later replaced the fried transmission.

Like Ray said, sometimes the transmision is the weak spot. I think the 5 star tuner is a fairly common upgrade. I haven't heard of any problems and lot of praise for how it helps the shifting on the ford transmission. I am not shure how much performance/mileage upgrade you will get but I am told the drivability is greatly improved. That would be a upgrade I would do if I had a gas coach. 

Bill

I have some good and bad experience with modifying these. I have installed a countless number of power programmers in all sorts of vehicles, many Banks power packs on RV's, and altered softwares on many diesels of all sizes for more power and one common observation, It turns into a snowball effect, let me explain;

I started with the Banks chip and transmission controller, coach ran better BUT, the exhaust manifolds were overheating and ultimately failed, so then came the Banks torque tubes (Headers), then the air intake wasn't adequate, then the catalytic converter failed from heat. I had to install a larger transmission cooler as my transmission temp gauge was running higher (had to install that gauge also), installed a different torque converter in the transmission, the factory one didn't like all of that torque, installed a deep transmission pan with additional cooling and case structure to help keep he transmission from flexing (common Ford defect).I got it all taken care of and the coach ran like a different vehicle but it certainly wasn't better of fuel MPG's dispite all of the "increased MPG" claims and I was throwing a lot of money at it. 

Do I think it was worth it, probably, but it wasn't a cheap, simple modification.

I pulled the mountain on I-40 into Flagstaff AZ at 70 MPH and that V10 didn't labor, a few years back I went up the same mountain at 40 MPH with my foot to the floor and it struggled. 

I have also watched people that do not know how to drive a modified vehicle destroy transmissions, turbochargers, and engines, that it the ultimate downside to altering a vehicle.

Thank for the info  I did the cal to NC I 40 trip back home two years ago after banks installed the headers and cold air intake  then up to Maine and Florida several times with no problems  all the time towing a Jeep the trans temp never claimed. Did noticed a improvement climbing the mountains 

my only thought about having the 5 star was improving the shifting . I will have to ask them if they have a program that only improves the shifting.

A little side note about the Banks system . I think it did improve the performance to my coach . I traveled all the way to their shop in califorina think they would be the experts to do the install. Big mistake worst workmanship half way home the exhaust pipe system fell apart and the dip stick housing they had to remove then re install leaked oil all ove the engine . My advice is to go to some one else

I sent back a Bully Dog GT Diesel I intended to use with a Cummins 5.9 in a 24,960 lb coach due to cautions given in this forum and because Bully Dog refused to give me any assistance in finding the right computer download for the application.  I'm going to continue to run stock, be very patient through the first dead five seconds of idle, and not try Donner Pass in the summer pulling a loaded extended cab behind me.

I don't do Donner Pass at anytime, anymore!  I prefer to by-pass that mess by taking Hwy 395 from Reno to Susanville, Hwy 36 to I-5. Beautiful drive with not much traffic, especially on 36. 

Have you weigh that loaded extended cab?  What is your coach chassis rear axle rated for?  Also, do you have a long extension between rear axle and hitch?