five

EFS Card

On 9/18/2019 at 7:47 PM, Elkhartjim said:

Gotcha. I have a separate account that I just transfer money to. Reading about the FMCA card I can't understand if they send an invoice or ..... Do you know how you find out the prices? Where does the FMCA card make money?

I just got my card in the mail today.  It works like a debit card.  YOU have to fund the card before using it.  They do not send an invoice at the end of the month.  All fuel purchases are deducted from the amount you have prepaid to the card.

I just got the TCS card in the mail today.  It is a self funded card, like a debit card.  You can only use the dollar amount that you put into it.  The only way to find out how much their fuel discounts are is by getting a card.  After that they set you up with the account and only then do you get access to their fuel stops.  So far the average I have seen along the routes I normally travel is about a 13 cent savings over the pump price.  Better than the RV Plus card from Good Same but you have to remember to keep a balance on the TCS card to use it.

Not sure if I like this arrangement or not.  Also if you do not use the card for 90 days there is a $10 service fee.

Where does one find out about the TSD card?

I have the TSD EFS card and it may be nice to save 6, 10, 13 cents a gallon but my TSD EFS card saved me 48 cents a gallon today. Pump prices was $83.15 and my TSD price was $68.79.

Herman - Both of the ones being discussed so far are for diesel, and only at the truck islands AFAIK. I haven't seen anything similar for gasoline yet other than brand-specific cards. Surely there are fleet cards for gasoline. The problem would be becoming part of their 'fleet'.

Gas or diesel, I haven't seen a discount card that works with credit cards or that has monthly billing other than a brand-specific card. And, those usually only offer a few cents discount per gallon which is much less that these fleet cards offer.

The TSD and TCS cards are intended to be fleet cards, where the goal is to minimize the cost of fuel for the fleet. They've recently allowed RV owners to become part of a 'fleet' and gain access to the savings. Since using credit cards would reduce the savings in these programs (someone has to pay the swipe fees) I don't see it happening anytime soon.

All that said, if you do find one I'm sure that others would stand in line behind you to sign up, since it seems that many of the people on the various RV forums don't feel comfortable using ACH transfers to pay bills. At least not based on the comments I've read.

I agree with what Richard has stated.  I've been using the ACH transfer method to pay bills for almost 20 years and I guess I've been lucky because it seems so many have been scammed some way or another. I feel its safer than writing a check and handing that to someone. That check has my name, address, account number and routing number that can easily be used in nefarious ways. The ACH method is all done computer to computer and granted the systems can be hacked but my check can be much more easily hacked, copied, stolen, etc. I know and understand that many don't feel comfortable with this method but it works for me.

Also, checks can be whitewashed and modified.

Easiest method is to set up a separate free banking account and populate it with a small sum to cover fuel costs from the other account via a transfer. Just make sure to transfer money to cover fuel costs. With a separate checking account even if the ACH is hacked the loss would be a minimum of the sum remaining in the account or maximum you deposit into it.

We also have been using ACH method for many many years and never a problem.

It appears the card is not good in Pilot/Flying J.  We stayed in a CG next to a Pilot last week, so I walked over and asked if my card was acceptable....and explained how it worked with Loves.  The manager did not know, but called her off sight manager....that manager said our card is good for ''points'' only....no big cash discount.

4 minutes ago, FIVE said:

It appears the card is not good in Pilot/Flying J.  We stayed in a CG next to a Pilot last week, so I walked over and asked if my card was acceptable....and explained how it worked with Loves.  The manager did not know, but called her off sight manager....that manager said our card is good for ''points'' only....no big cash discount.

Which card are you talking about? The EFS card obtained through TSD or the new FMCA card issued by TCS?

If it's the EFS card you're talking about, then the card is supposed to be accepted at Pilot. From looking at the discount rates issued yesterday, there is about a 5-8 cent/gallon discount at Pilot.

If you're talking about the new TCS card, then it's interesting to note that the card doesn't help at all at a Pilot/Flying J. I'm still waiting for my TCS card, but from what I've seen so far the program doesn't list Pilot as a participating location.

The TSD EFS card is only good  for the discount at participating PFJ or any of the other stations. If the PFJ station is listed on the daily discount list it will be about 5 cents. With the PFJ card it is 6 to 8 cents.

FYI, using the TSD EFS card at a participating Love's today I saved $25.86. Pump price was $156.04 and my cost was $128.18.

Folks, that's a hefty savings with TSD.

Here is how I plan my route. First is typical Google maps, Then I use "truckrouter.com" and with that web site I plug in my start and end point, then click on "run trip" then "truck stops" (looking to see if the route is the same as Google. I pick a truck stop towards the end of the trip so I have a full tank to start off with when I depart the next place. Today I was 30 miles from end stop when I fueled up. Plenty fleft or my next trip.

the $200 Cash Advance is what it says, it is available to you if desired. it has nothing to do with your fuel purchase

The answer to Richard's question above is I was using the EFS card, not the  FMCA card.  We saved $70, total bill $340, billed $270.  If stopping at a P/FJ, you'll save more by having an Pilot RV Plus card....about seven cents per gallon, rather than earning "points'' with an EFS card.

FIVE, you took over a hundred gallons?  Or your in CA.  I filed up 110.76 gallons yesterday on $300, Burnet, Texas!

20 hours ago, manholt said:

FIVE, you took over a hundred gallons?  Or your in CA.  I filed up 110.76 gallons yesterday on $300, Burnet, Texas!

Took on 110.42 gallons at $3.09 a gallon.  Taxes are high in Canton, MS, and Loves prices are outrageous. 

Next time I'll try Regular rather than Super Unleaded.😜