vader6

2006 Coachman Cross Country Intermittent Electrical

Greeting RV Gurus/Nerds/Innocent Bystanders.  My 2006 Coachman Cross Country SE is having an intermittent electrical issue. When turn the key into the accessory or run position in the ignition, sometimes one particular circuit will energize, other times it will not.  The Hydraulic Level System, electric drivers seat, backup camera monitor and Freightliner Computer (both in dash) seem to share the circuit.  At times, the hydraulic module lights with flash for a moment then stay dark/circuit stays dead.   It’s not a fuse, for sometimes it works.  Can’t nail down what may be triggering the intermittent part - temps/load/etc.

Your wisdom is appreciated.  Need to get this fixed ASAP since we are scheduled for a Thanksgiving trip on Sunday....

The system may use an automatic reset circuit breaker which could be going bad, or the circuit may actually be overloaded at startup. If you have a way to disengage any or all of the devices, you could disengage one device at a time to see if the problem goes away. If it does, then move that device to a circuit of its own, just make sure that the circuit is not overfused for that device. Or may just be a faulty relay not kicking in when the accessories are activated. Personally it were my coach, I would move the automatic level system to a separate circuit anyway since it would be my most  suspicious culprit.

Rich could answer this better than I but I am betting this coach is Multiplexed on a Freighliner chassis I.e. it’s all module controlled and one is not waking up when the ignition is turned. 

If it is a Freighliner chassis I would call them in the morning;

FREIGHTLINER CUSTOM CHASSIS CORPORATION
552 Hyatt Street
Gaffney, SC 29341
P: 864-487-1700
F: 864-487-6400
fcccservice@daimler.com

Rich could answer this better than I but I am betting this coach is Multiplexed on a Freighliner chassis I.e. it’s all module controlled and one is not waking up when the ignition is turned. 

Thanks Joe. LOL The Model year is right on the Knee of some major changes in the wiring systems. Hope it is more old school !!

From the information in the Original Post. It sounds like everything is working and the leveling system is intermittent.  

That being the case one might check all the connections, in this case they are under the dash and it is a tight spot to work.

Look for any loose ground connections, the devil is in the details!

With a Meter check to see if the 12 volt supply is always supplied even when that system is not operating. Kind of a dead giveaway to a bad ground, or a loose connection at the control board. 

Rich.

I called Freightliner first, they referred me to the coach manufacturer.  This one does not have an auto leveling system.  The circuit itself is intermittent, everything on it either works or doesn’t work. I’ll check to see if it’s on a module in the morning, and for loose wires/grounds in the evening.  Appreciate the input. 

It could be the "mother board" going bad for the leveler system...in 2007 it was located in a see thru box, under the second step!  

My $ is on a loose ground connection.