tjsolberg

Passenger Slide out not retracting - ratcheting noise

Hi all,

My 2006 Country Coach passenger side Slide Out goes out just fine, no problem, but when I go to retract it, it starts to come in, about an inch, then stops and makes a ratcheting noise.  I have to unplug the motor and crank it in by hand.  I then tried it again, no problem going out, but the same problem coming back in.  So, is it a bad return gear or ?  Thanks in advance for the help.

R/

Tim  

CC_Passenger_Side_Slide_Motor.jpg

Not sure of your system,  it on a previous MH I had, there is no reverse gear, it’s done bu reversing the motor. Your motor might have a clutch that’s slipping or a bad gear. Time to take it apart..:(

Several things can cause that, stuck or broken roller,  bad clutch, broken gear, not level, slide out of adjustment by 1/4" or more. Sometimes when it stops you can bump the in/out toggle, if it moves in by 1" per bump, then it's your clutch or a bad roller.  Make sure there is nothing heavy on sofa or a seat, that didn't come with coach, like a case of water bottles!

I had to replace a gearbox for the same reason on 2006 HR.  The worm gear worn out as it was made out of brass.  

Thanks everyone for the feedback.  I looked at it and realized the gearbox was loose.  So I gained access and tightened it with great expectations, but it wasn't the problem.  Still goes out fine, but when I bring it in, it moves about an inch and starts ratcheting.  I moved it about half way in manually and tried it from there and still does the same thing.  Not sure how the gear box is built, one gear and the motor reverses when toggling the rocker switch?  Anyway, any other suggestions or I think I'll buy a new motor/gearbox and install it and hope that's the problem......

I suspect that the loose gear box may have created the problem. I think it's time to go into the box and check the gears. Couldn't hurt since you are thinking of a new box anyway.

Herman

Edited by hermanmullins