fly2low

which engine is preferable

I am in the process of specking out a Super C and have the choice of Detroit DD13, DD16, or Cummins X15.  All specced out to give 1850 lb-ft torque.  The DD 13 would have a tighter turning radius as it is on the new Cascadia 116 vs the 125

I am not as qualified as is Joe to make the determination, except to say there is no substitute to cubic inches! They definitely improve driveability. I am a CAT guy C 12 and predate the current over the road engines.

The transmission will be an Allison 4000 series which maxes out at 1850 lb-ft

Glad I asked the question, this is helpful

Another thing to keep in mind, the Cascadia 116 vs the 125, a good portion of the engine is under the dash and closer to you on the 116. On the 125 it will be easier to work on, the engine will more out in front of you and will not require interior access. In this application that's huge with me! 

Its a shame its not offered in a Peterbilt, they ride much nicer and Peterbilt offers a wider steering axle which dramatically increases turning radius and provides a much more comfortable ride. On the Pete the engine is 100% in front of the firewall which makes maintenance and repairs significantly faster which save you $$

Edited by jleamont

1 hour ago, fly2low said:

The transmission will be an Allison 4000 series which maxes out at 1850 lb-ft

Glad I asked the question, this is helpful

I think it all depends on what the speck is when ordering on the Allison 4000 series. I know Carl has a  Allison 4000 series and he has a ISX 600 with 2050 torque.

Bill

If I spec a Peterbilt, I have to have a bunk over the cab due to the transition from the cab to the body cannot be rigid.

Freightliner comes with adaptive cruise and brake assist.  Cannot get that on the Pete.

If I could go with a Peterbilt without the bunk, my decision would be easy

1 hour ago, fly2low said:

If I spec a Peterbilt, I have to have a bunk over the cab due to the transition from the cab to the body cannot be rigid.

Freightliner comes with adaptive cruise and brake assist.  Cannot get that on the Pete.

If I could go with a Peterbilt without the bunk, my decision would be easy

It’s a shame they only offer the vocational cab (567 model) on the Pete. The 579 has an option for brake assist, collision mitigation and the X15 is packaged nicely with the Eaton/Cummins Advantage 12 speed automated Manual transmission. 

actually, I just went to the Peterbilt site, and the 576 can have adaptive cruise, collision mitigation, and lane keeping.  I have sent an inquiry to the dealer

6 hours ago, fly2low said:

actually, I just went to the Peterbilt site, and the 576 can have adaptive cruise, collision mitigation, and lane keeping.  I have sent an inquiry to the dealer

Good, do your research! We run the 579 at work, its a GREAT product and very reliable. hands down drives and handles much better than any of the other three manufactures we use. 

8 hours ago, fly2low said:

So are you building your own super C?

Bill

working with a dealer, and can choose either Show Hauler or Renegade.  Both work with the same selection of chassis

and I meant 567, not 576