elibedarn

Harmonic oscillating front end

A short up date. The wiring harness did not fix my wobble. We made a short club meetup trip of one hundred miles. Wobble occurred once going and again on the return. I am down to having the Jeep front end checked for worn parts. This seems a rat hole with no end. I now realize I could have made a better choice for at tow able vehicle. 

On 10/22/2020 at 8:33 PM, elibedarn said:

Tail wagging the dog. If you tow four down; Jeep Cherokee years 2014, 15, 16, and 17 have an issue with deactivated electronic steering.  The fix is an additional wiring harness, MOPAR part number 68321424AD. Cost install including part is around $500 USDs. 

I thought my RV was the cause. Through this process I installed front shocks in Michigan, Had front end components and alignment checked at Denver Spring and Suspension, nothing found. Near San Antonio a Roadmaster Steering Stabilizer for Class A Motorhomes was installed. Two additional wobbles occurred following the steering stabilizer install.

A story in July 2016 Motorhome issue titled, "Jeep Cherokee Wobble" included the fix.

Over the 10k miles traveled this summer Death Wobble occurred seven times. I saw the Jeep wobble in my dash camera but thought the RV was causing it. So the tail was wagging the dog! 

Other than the 7 wobbles, a 5/8 pin gave way permitting the tow hitch to fall while going over the Rocky mountains near Dillon. Flagstaff to Mesa a spark plug blew out of the V-10 engine. A rock crack in the Jeep windshield. My generator exhaust broke into. Icing on the cake is a ticket for failure to use my turning signal in Marquette, Michigan when driving my tow car.  RVing is not for the faint of heart!

Thank each of you for your input.

I am uncertain what is posted below. Hopefully it does not interfere with this posting. 

2 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

The newer Jeeps have had issues with the death wobble, this may be your case.

Especially the Trailhawk. The Wrangler can be corrected with an alignment (caster settings adjusted) And those are usually only a problem when they are modified (lifted).

Keep us posted.

Edited by jleamont

My lifted 2013 Jeep 2 door, has never had a wobble...I run 33.75 NITTO tires on 18" wheels while towing and NITTO 35/12.5/18 bead lock, when off road. :P I have a 3" lift.

I do not know yet if I will have any issue with my 2020 Jeep Gladiator!  We'll  find out next week. :o

Edited by manholt

I think that the newer trailhawks have electric steering, if so, they must have current applied while towing, or wobble will occur.

Yes they do!  Only exception is Wrangler and Grand Cherokee.  By the way, you can get the GC with a 705 HP engine!  Duh, I really need that on the trail to Grandmas for Christmas! :wacko:

Edited by manholt

Carl I wish we could get that HP to weight ratio in a MH. Racing Car on Google Android 11.0

Edited by rayin