richard5933

Recent increase in trolls/robotic postings

Is there two types of memberships, one to access the forum and one for the FMCA site?
It could be set up that way.

Hopefully this change will be communicated to FMCA members - maybe it will prompt more members to participate in the forum again.

Jim S. has been a full member on Forum since 2010...Since his F# is  retired, I think he and others with a F# should be "Grandfathered."  Just MHO! :(

Build the site with read only for most with  a couple that non members can post in to ask question to help encourage them to join  

Sorry but we can't pick and choose. It will be for FMCA Members only. They will be able to view but will need to join FMCA if they want to participate in the Forum.

Herman

Personally, I don't even like the ability of a non-member to view the forum.  Trolls are trolls and social engineering is so easy when they have easy access.  I have been lax over the past couple years. Used to be I would never post when I was leaving, where I was going, or when I was coming back.  I now have a robust security system at the house, therefore a little more relaxed. It's unfortunate, but life is life and there are those who scan forums just to get information to create an ability to be a thief.

Members only-read/write.

I will say that the forum did help me to decide to become a member if your looking for input. Having spammers is just a issue one has to deal with on a public type forum. Maybe you could have two separate areas, one for members only and one open for all in hopes it might bring new members. More work for someone I know.

On 4/10/2021 at 9:21 PM, hermanmullins said:

Sorry but we can't pick and choose. It will be for FMCA Members only. They will be able to view but will need to join FMCA if they want to participate in the Forum.

Herman

Good decision .   Gives everyone the option to read and that is what a RV forum should be.  It also encourages non-members to join if they have something to share or questions they need help with..   

What's done is done!  We got rid off 99% of our "Trolls" and some members where Grandfathered!

All suggestions have been noted.  We are back to what Herman said.  

My Avatar picture was taken from here and replaced me on Face Book!  Been trying to undo that for a week....

I was assured by the IT Department that all members of the Forum that were not FMCA Members (no F number) were blocked from participating on the Forum. They can look and read but can not participate. 

Now the really good thing is, those that want to participate my join FMCA (our gain) and the Spammer wont spend the money (also our gain).

Herman