Jump to content


Recommended Posts

I'm replacing the slide out canopy (awning) cover.  Documenting the replacement for reference for the next person that needs to do this.

Me: 2014 Itasca Ellipse 42QD (same as Winnebago Tour)

This is specifically for the super slide / full wall slide.... you know the one... 29' give or take.

I contacted Winnebago with my VIN and they replied back with part numbers for all my appliances.  

Winnebago contact:Terry 800-933-7742 /  info@winnebagoparts.com

Providing Winnebago parts for over 25 years
Parts for your Winnebago is our only business!
Call  800-933-7742 or 641-896-2222 M-F, 8-5 Central


He told me Carefree makes the product and I should contact them with the part number he gave me.  (see picture below for my coach's part number listing)

Carefree contact: 303-469-3324


Cost of part: $320.50 including shipping to TX

I used this video to review what I was in store for:



I messed up on putting the holding pin to keep it from spinning out.... yep... this one has it on both sides and I screwed it up on each....

I used this link to figure out how many spins I needed to get the tension back on the springs: 



Below are some pictures for reference to include the list of part numbers Winnebago sent me, the sticker on the awning roller bracket with P/N, invoice from Carefree etc.

I'll be putting it on in a day or two and will share any additional info that may be helpful.











eric 001.jpg





OK.... now for the install of the new cover...

I rolled it out flat, then folded it in such a way the two leads that will go into the channels were about the same width apart as the channels (the channel on side of RV, and channel in the roller assembly which was laying on top of the slide).

I then rolled the cover so I could place it on a 2x12 sticking off the slide and have my wife simply roll the cover fabric out as I pulled it through the channels.  I used a silicone lubricant (see pic) to prep each channel.  I can tell you this 29' of channel sliding went much easier than I anticipated.... took maybe 10 minutes if that. 

Once the fabric was on the in both channels we rolled the excess fabric onto the roller assembly, put it over the edge of the slide and I placed my end into the end cap that was still in place. I secured with the fastening bolt, then went to the other side to place the end cap on, and secure with the bolt. I can tell you I had to make another quarter turn on the spring to get the end to align correctly with the end cap. (used locking pliers to do this.... pull out the pin that prevents the spring from unwinding, turn 1/4 turn, place pin back in... be sure the pin is facing outward or you'll not get the rolling assembly back into the channel)

Now the fun part.... we tried to knock out  the pins (the pins that are keeping roller / spring from unwinding) at the same time with pliers and a hammer... well, I knocked mine out, but my wife missed hers..... strange.... no big deal.... I went down to her end, knocked it out and wham a lamb a ding dong it tighted up just fine. 

rotated the cover back up to cover the awning roller assembly, put in the top screw on each side and we're done.

Ran a test.... works perfect.... oh, don't forget to put the set screws into the coach side channel... one in front, one in back.

Here are the installation pictures.... I also treated the rubber gaskets on coach side and slide side as long as I had the cover off.... used the spray in the pictures.


Total time spent: 

Remove old - almost an hour

Treat gaskets and clean slide top, etc - about 30 minutes

Install new - Almost an hour

Total: 2.5-3.0 hours....

Not bad... remember... this is a 29 foot slide out!

I think I could do it again in less than an hour.

Difficulty of task.... maybe a 5 out of 10.

Total money spent: $320 on parts, zero on labor...

Probably would have cost 700-800 to have that done at a shop!











Edited by eric@babin.com

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for posting your experience, I plan to replace my slide topper material after I recover from upcoming gall bladder surgery.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good job!

I am planning to do exactly this on my 2010 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 38'er as at least 2 of them have a tear on the hem on one side. It too uses Carefree slide out covers....

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

  • Create New...