cpat39

Roadside Rescue - 2 days waiting for assistance

On Wednesday March 3 about 10:00 am I went to start our 2000 Monaco Diplomat. After waiting for Start light to go out I turned key to start and nothing happened. My Wife whose hearing is much better than mine said there was no sound of starter turning over. Tried a couple of more times with me back by engine and she operating key no sound. Have been a member of the FMCA Roadside Rescue (RR) to a couple of years so I called them for a jump start. That was the start of numerous phone calls and text messages for rest of Wednesday. First phone call to RR was very confusing, difficult to understand and resulted in first company that was contacted by RR texting they could not handle the job. 2nd call RR rep was easier to understand and seemed to understand what I needed in equipment to jump start the coach. That call resulted a man in Toyota Prius with 10 gauge jumper cables that wanted to use the Prius battery (12 VDC section) to start engine. Third call to RR, third rep, resulted in another small car that I could see at RV Park gate that wanted to come and see what needed to be started. From my coach I could see another very small car at gate and when he called I refused him access. He pleaded please let him so he could take and picture to show his boss and they might get paid. Fourth call got second call rep and he was very sympathetic and apologetic. All of the calls resulted in text message pointing to web site that would provide contact info like driver name and ETA. First 3 showed an automobile symbol. This time symbol was a small wrecker and arrival ETA. About 4 hours later around 6:00 pm this wrecker never showed up. I had reached that driver by phone once and he had several excuses why he was late, when he did not show up I call him again and was put into voice mail that said Mailbox was full please try later. He never responded to later calls all going into voicemail. I eventually cancelled service request at 6:30 pm or so.

Couple of calls with Paul (FMCA Membership) and he stated he was contacting RR and his supervisor to get situation moving to resolution. When nothing happen that day I called him again on Thursday Morning and he promised more pressure up the chain and with Roadside Rescue. I believe Paul did all he could to help. Thank you, Paul.

Day two - Thursday March 4 started about 8:00 am with text message that a towing company was coming out to tow me to a repair shop. Do not remember exactly number of calls and messages to that tow firm to get assurance they could do the job. Yes, they could and would be there shortly as they were located only a few miles away. Two and half hours later they called to tell mar there heavy wrecker was not coming as it was not running. In meantime I am back on phone with another local heavy haul and confirmed that they could come out about 1:00 pm. Another call to Roadside Rescue (by this point I have lost track of number of calls to RR). Rep put me on hold and I was now speaking with a person that understood situation and promised resolution. I gave that person name and contact info of tow company I contacted and they promised to contact them immediately which they did. That rig showed up at 2:45 pm and after during the correct procedures to tow motorhome he at my request towed rig to his company which is also a established truck repair in Stockton, CA. 

My not so humble opinion of Roadside Rescue is their service representatives are generally poorly trained regarding motorhome drive trains, jump starting and towing needs. As mentioned above one of the reps phone equipment was so bad neither I nor Wife could understand her. Their followup texting system is ridiculous in its ETA times. Also they kept sending followup texts asking for Y or No answer had provider showed up. When I would call 888 number provided in text the RR rep would not know I was follow up caller and start asking same questions like I was new caller. Also received several robo calls asking if I had been taken care of with service. There was never any follow up to text or robs queries. 

Last RR person did offer to pay extra RV Park charges.  The towing company that responded is J & E Towing in Stockton,CA very knowledgable driver.

I am very much a supporter of FMCA and have used their tire discounts twice, believe strongly in FMCA Assist. But they need to JUMP START Roadside Rescue.

IMG_4441.JPG

cpat39....Unbelievable!! Your post does not make me feel all warm and cozy!!!  I just today signed up for FMCA's Roadside Assistance.  Hope I did not make a mistake.   Never had anything close to that happen to me when I was using CoachNet.  Hope someone in Cincinnati gets this ironed out!  They owe you and should take care of all your expenses!!

I have posted this before, but there are 2,000 services that answer the phone for roadside assistance providers. Many of those really don’t know the difference between a RV and automobile to be able to give the best service. I have had two positive experiences with FMCA Roadside Assistance,  and I just renewed. 

When you call in tell them the  minimum tow truck size is 25 tons  that will tow up to about an 80,000 lb rig 

then it will not be to small 

We have Coach Net, not cheap, but I like getting what I pay for!  FMCA, GS, AAA, all seem to be more for Autos, TT, gas units....You call the CN and they know what to send without asking when you say DP or Toad. MHO.

The OP has been a member since 2011....**** of a first impression!

Edited by manholt

21 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

So what was wrong?

Chassis battery would not engage the starter.

Edited by kaypsmith

On 3/13/2021 at 1:51 PM, C-677946 said:

cpat39....Unbelievable!! Your post does not make me feel all warm and cozy!!!  I just today signed up for FMCA's Roadside Assistance.  Hope I did not make a mistake.   Never had anything close to that happen to me when I was using CoachNet.  Hope someone in Cincinnati gets this ironed out!  They owe you and should take care of all your expenses!!

I did too, yesterday !  (See STAY AWAY FROM ROAD RIDERS RESCUE in this topic.)

Edited by urbanhermit

On 3/11/2021 at 1:14 PM, cpat39 said:

On Wednesday March 3 about 10:00 am . . . 

IMG_4441.JPG

On 6/2/2021 at 5:58 PM, urbanhermit said:

I did too, yesterday !  (See STAY AWAY FROM ROAD RIDERS RESCUE in this topic.)

After my very recent (only been a member of Roadside Rescue since 6/1/2021) bad experience that I blame on the towing commpay RR engaged, or tried to engage, things got worse, though  cpat still has the crown.  Yestereday brought my Monaco Cayman 36 from storage to my house to clean out the battery bay.  All hunkydory.  When I started itto return it to the storage lot, everyting came up except the transmission control panel.  Nothing.  Dead as if the ignition was off.  Wiggling the key caused occasional brief flashies of light, even once or twice for a split second illuminating the entire N.  Assumed the problem was a worn ignition switch.  Changed that out; no change at the transmission controls.  Around 1800 to 1900 CDST I called Roadside Rescue.  Was very clear that I had an appointment at 0700 to 0730 this morning to be first in line -- very important because we had a five-day trip set up for a Monday departure (yesterday was Friday, today Saturday; service facility works 7 days).  At 0530 this morning I found out that RR had not even place a tow truck call.  We've lost our place in line and lost our trip.  Way to go, Roadside Rescue.  Count on my canelling my membersship as soon as the tow is made, whenever that is.  

On 3/14/2021 at 9:05 AM, manholt said:

We have Coach Net, not cheap, but I like getting what I pay for!  FMCA, GS, AAA, all seem to be more for Autos, TT, gas units....You call the CN and they know what to send without asking when you say DP or Toad. MHO.

The OP has been a member since 2011....**** of a first impression!

As soon as I get towed -- see my 2nd response to cpat -- I'm gonna call these people.  Thanks, manholdt.