Sign in to follow this  
gregoryabell@bellsouth.net

Alaska RV Rental/Itinerary/Campgrounds/Activities

Question

Planning to fly to Alaska and rent a 24-25 ft RV there for a 3 week trip within Alaska in the July - mid September 2021 period.  Would appreciate input regarding the following:

1. Don't want to take my RV to Alaska so plan to rent. Recommended RV rental agency. Important things I need to know/consider in renting an RV.

2. Recommended 3 week itinerary.  Don't want to be constantly on the move so no less than 2 nights in a location.  Want to include Denali.  Start and end in Anchorage or Fairbanks or start in one and end in other.

3. Highly recommended activities/attractions/sights along above recommended itinerary.

4. Best time within the above 2.5 month period for the 3 week itinerary.

5. Recommended campground in Denali and making a reservation.

6. Recommended campgrounds within the itinerary.

7. Other pertinent info/tips in planning this trip.

Thanks for any and all help given.

Edited by gregoryabell@bellsouth.net

5 answers to this question

According to what I have researched due to the Covid-19 virus situation it is near impossible to make the trip via land unless jumping through lots of new government regulatory  hoops .  

Hello Gregory! Welcome to the discussion forums.

You presently have 2 ways to go to Alaska, air or sea. Hopefully that will be relaxed this summer. I have no current information for you as we went in 2012. I do recommend you email the Alaska Tourism Bureau and request their booklets for visitors, plus renting an RV information.

One do not miss is an airplane ride over the top of Mt. Denali if the weather is clear up there, usually cloudy. Reservations required. They would only allow me to take the lower altitude flight because I have had a heart attack and asthma.

Purchase the 2021 Alaska coupon book if you plan of visiting as many things as you can work in. Locate someone with an old copy of Milepost Magazine for road directions as often a GPS is not accurate there.The roads are still the same so an old magazine is adequate, only things like restaurants and gas stations etc change..

If you plan to drive the Top of The World Highway (actually gravel and mud) it is a full-days drive playing it safe. While we were there a full-timing couple went over the side, rolled down the mountain a ways.. Totally destroyed their diesel pusher MH. I do have driving tips if you decide to take the very scenic drive.

Although the same highway, the drive to Chicken AK part is full 2-lane paved highway.

I'm getting carried away, thats it for now.

Edited by rayin

Everything in OP's post, indicate that he will be flying in and renting an RV there!  I have thought about that before, but never done it....last time there by coach was 1987.

I would call Alaska Tourism and get all you can from them!  The same big rental companies here, have offices in AK., so go to RV rental on web.

We are going on a 60 day, Fantasy Tour to AK this July.  Spoke to them last week and its still on, but you got to have the COVID Vaccination to get into Canada.  We can just wait and see!  The only tour that I know that's cancelled this year, by all 3 operators (SOL, Adventure and Fantasy), was Rocky Point, Mexico this month!

I googled and spent hours on the Canadian website which is loaded with travel information from the US through Canada to Alaska.   If one should take the ferry trip and stopped at any Canadian port and exit ferry they would be quarantined for 10-14 days.     Same rigid rules to traveling through Canada by vehicle.... at fuel stations they  say to pay at pump and not to go inside or  have contact with others.    Same about stopping for any other reason along highway, which they discourage.   Must be quarantined if over night in motel, grocery shop, sight see, etc.  They will issue a pass withy specified hours to exit the country at Alaska.    Must submit itinerary before entering along with required covid-19 vaccinations, etc.  Same for BC as again for Yukon. 

Flying and avoiding any contact with Canada is the recommended way but then one has to comply with off boarding rules of Alaska.   Hoops, hoops and more, hoops; just thinking about it  makes one feel like a circus lion jumping through their hoops.

Edited by charlieiam