Jump to content
DCrawf

First time Class A buyer, HELP!

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, urbanhermit said:

The solution in my case was the construction of a wholly separate temp gauge sytem including a separate gauge added to the dashboard.

Wase the original gage bad? 

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update from OP. I missed out on a couple nice coaches this week I was 1 day late on a 2003 Country coach in SC then 3 days late for a 2007 Newmar in Michigan (this one is still pending, so maybe).

Another question for all as far as the emissions change laws. I want pre emissions law changes but have been getting different info on the year to purchase. Some have told me to search 2008 and older, others have said 2007 and older. Is this manufacture specific or did all change over the same year? What year should my cut off be?

 

Again thanks all for your input,

Don 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don, coach year 2007 and older, you will bypass emissions systems. Chassis produced in 2007 (not the coach as a complete unit, chassis are usually built 1 year prior) will most likely be equipped with a Diesel Particulate Filter, Catalyst and EGR system. 

Edited by jleamont

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Look hear https://www.nirvc.com/Sales/Inventory/5760A

PPL has some you mite like https://www.pplmotorhomes.com/used-rvs-for-sale/diesel-motorhomes/2007-winnebago-vectra_rv-45928

This is the best one I have seen in that category. This is a amazing coach for the money.

https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/Pre-owned-Inventory-2007-Foretravel-Motorhome-Nimbus-340-Nimbus-6800824?ref=list

The emissions law changes were mandated for 2008 however some makers stockpiled 2007 chassis and used them for part of 2008. I have a 2008 with a 2007 chassis and no emission equipment.

Let me know what you think on the coaches I linked to and look on the sites as there are others.

Bill

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Itasca Vectra is a 40TD, not 39'....actual length is 41'.  I had the WB Tour 40KD...same coach!  Price is a little high, IMHO.

The Foretravel is a good buy!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

Let me know what you think on the coaches I linked to and look on the sites as there are others.

Bill,

I didn't care much for the Vectra (to much carpeted area). The Foretravel is AMAZING but unfortunately it exceeds my budget.

Is that NIRVC site REPO's or something like that? They give more warnings about the sale of a vehicle than some prescriptions do.

Thanks for the help I will keep monitoring these sites,

Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DCrawf said:

Is that NIRVC site REPO's or something like that? They give more warnings about the sale of a vehicle than some prescriptions do.

I think they are listing it for a customer. Did you look at the rest of the site? I would get it inspected but it is $35-45,000 below what others are going for.

1 hour ago, DCrawf said:

The Foretravel is AMAZING but unfortunately it exceeds my budget.

I would sharpen my pencell LOL. It checks all your boxes and then some. 500HP, tag on a 40 ft coach, Side radiator, Generator on a slide. Absolutely a quality coach that sold new in the near $900,000++  range.  

Bill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Update from OP, Advise needed we are currently looking at 4 different coach's. Our 2 favorites are a 2006 Holiday rambler Endeavor 40'  & 2007 Country Coach Inspire 40'. However I have the same skepticism with both of them since they both have a 400HP Caterpillar engine. I have been given advise to only buy a coach with a Cummings engine since they are still manufacturing road engines today and CAT is not. I've been told that techs are no longer being trained to repair CAT engines like they are Cummings. I've also been told that the CAT parts are not as readily available which could leave me stranded somewhere I don't want to be for an extended period of time. So my question for the experienced experts is, are these legitimate concerns that I should have or not? Would you buy a coach with a CAT engine today?

Thanks in advance for your time and opinions,

     Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cat engines are still being built every day. The Cat engine that were used in Motorhomes were truck engine and part should be available at most truck shops and/or dealers.

Either coach is a good choose the biggest question does the DW like one floor plan over the other one? That's what count the most.

Herman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CAT, Detroit and Cummins, I would take any of them today!  As Herman said.  :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, DCrawf said:

Update from OP, Advise needed we are currently looking at 4 different coach's. Our 2 favorites are a 2006 Holiday rambler Endeavor 40'  & 2007 Country Coach Inspire 40'. However I have the same skepticism with both of them since they both have a 400HP Caterpillar engine. I have been given advise to only buy a coach with a Cummings engine since they are still manufacturing road engines today and CAT is not. I've been told that techs are no longer being trained to repair CAT engines like they are Cummings. I've also been told that the CAT parts are not as readily available which could leave me stranded somewhere I don't want to be for an extended period of time. So my question for the experienced experts is, are these legitimate concerns that I should have or not? Would you buy a coach with a CAT engine today?

Thanks in advance for your time and opinions,

     Don

Whomever told you that tale really needs to self=educate. Caterpillars largest market has always been the construction industry then the trucking industry. CAT engines are more expensive to have repaired, however seem to run longer overall.

That said, I'm pleased with the Cummins  in our MH. I think you would be pleased with either engine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, DCrawf said:

Update from OP, Advise needed we are currently looking at 4 different coach's. Our 2 favorites are a 2006 Holiday rambler Endeavor 40'  & 2007 Country Coach Inspire 40'. However I have the same skepticism with both of them since they both have a 400HP Caterpillar engine. I have been given advise to only buy a coach with a Cummings engine since they are still manufacturing road engines today and CAT is not. I've been told that techs are no longer being trained to repair CAT engines like they are Cummings. I've also been told that the CAT parts are not as readily available which could leave me stranded somewhere I don't want to be for an extended period of time. So my question for the experienced experts is, are these legitimate concerns that I should have or not? Would you buy a coach with a CAT engine today?

Thanks in advance for your time and opinions,

     Don

They do not make engines for on the road anymore BUT they do make replacement engines should you have a catastrophic failure and parts are readily available. I wouldn't be concerned with a CAT product as long as its not a 2007-2009 engine model year with a DPF. Id run from that! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...