f442485

coolant change

I own a 2004 Holiday Rambler, 38foot with a 330ISC Cummins engine. looking for info on flushing engine coolant or maybe a video link that shows how to and tips. I've been told that this engine does and does not have a coolant filter. Thank you in advance

Here is my tip. When you are ready to put the coolant back in after the last flush. (usually with distilled water)

Find out the total capacity of the system. Now put 50% of that capacity with full strength un diluted coolant. Now fill the rest  of the way with distilled water. This will give you a true 50/50 mix. The reason to do it this way is you can't drain all the water out of the system.

Bill

I put a gallon of undulated coolant then one gallon of distilled water in the radiator. Repeat until full. Run the engine till it get warm then stop the engine let it cool a bit and then carefully remove the cap. Let it sit for a short period then add more coolant or distilled water as necessary. This is to prevent air in the system. Be sure and use ELC (extended life coolant).

Herman

Some versions of the Cummins ISC require a coolant filter with built-in additive, others have an ordinary coolant filter, you buy the additive in pre-mixed coolant.. I always use pre-mixed coolant, this way I know the mixture is correct, plus DI/distilled water can cause metal leaching if the proper additive is not used, or proper filter selected. Either method, you should use a coolant test strip annually to insure the additive is not depleted as this additive's main function is to protect the cylinder liner from cavitation damage

The best source of information for YOUR specific engine is Cummins Quick Serve website. You must have your engine serial # to register on Cummins website.

The chassis maker decides whether or not to use a coolant filter, and puts it on if required.  When I first got this coach, Freightliner was adamant about using non ELC coolant.  Now they say you can use either ELC or standard coolant, because both should be changed at 100k or five years.  I use the Herman method of putting the coolant in.  The only difference is when it's getting nearly full, I had half a gallon of each, slowly.  When I changed my coolant, nobody....engine maker, chassis maker or REV Group had any idea the capacity of the system.  There "guesses" ranged from 32 gallons to 24 quarts....actual capacity is 15/16 gallons.