smsdavis

Towing ability with Mercedes Sprinter chassis

I cannot seem to get a straight answer from anyone, dealer, manufacturer, etc.  

We are downsizing from a Fleetwood Expedition diesel pusher to a 2021 Jayco Melbourne Prestige.  (We were fulltiming, now planning to buy land and settle down but don't want to give up ability to travel completely -- for those who wonder why we would make such a drastic change).  

We traded our Tahoe for a Chevrolet Traverse.  Weight is under 5,000 pounds on the Traverse.  I would like to be able to tow the Traverse.  It can be flat towed with the same mods we had to make to the Tahoe.  

What I cannot find is the information on what the Mercedes Sprinter can tow.  The dealer claims it can tow 7500 pounds.  I suspect the tow hitch is rated for that.  But I doubt the engine itself is rated for that.  

Does anyone tow using that Mercedes Sprinter engine/chassis?  If so, what are you towing?

I expect in any mountains we would disconnect and one of my kids will just follow us.  But I didn't want to drive all the way across the country having someone drive the Traverse.  

I wrote to Jayco the manufacturer and I have gotten no response.  I checked the Mercedes/Sprinter web site and couldn't find any useful information.  

The problem is, it was never meant to be a RV.  Sprint chassis outside of the US is used as a VIP Limo pulling a small cargo trailer with luggage, delivery van, or Limo!  

I would look at the capacity of the rear axle, it will be stamped in Kilos, then you'll have to weigh the rear load and what you have over is your tow capacity...I would guess 3,500 lbs.  

I just Binged this question.  Bing says the towing capacity is "5000 to 7500 lbs, depending on trim and model year.