navyjoe

Engine Alternator not Charging RV batteries

I have a 2004 American Tradition 40V. This unit has a 2800 Watt inverter that runs all outlets, even the microwave off the coach battery in absence of shore or generator power

This morning I woke up and found the inverter running everything. During the night the Converter breaker had tripped so the inverter took over and ran all loads (except AC and frigerator). Batteries discharged to about 50 %. Reset converter 120V breaker and things went back to normal, batteries were recharging etc.

On the road to next destination.

Along the way I noticed inverter was running down the coach  batteries again. I then realized the engine alternator circuit was not connecting to the coach circuit to charge the coach batteries.

Any ideas on where to start trouble shooting this problem?. I'm on my first trip with this coach and for 3 weeks, until today the chassis and coach 12VDC systems systems were joined together .

The battery bank should be connected to alternator via a solenoid that is engaged when in run mode   

2 hours ago, navyjoe said:

I have a 2004 American Tradition 40V. This unit has a 2800 Watt inverter that runs all outlets, even the microwave off the coach battery in absence of shore or generator power

This morning I woke up and found the inverter running everything. During the night the Converter breaker had tripped so the inverter took over and ran all loads (except AC and frigerator). Batteries discharged to about 50 %. Reset converter 120V breaker and things went back to normal, batteries were recharging etc.

On the road to next destination.

Along the way I noticed inverter was running down the coach  batteries again. I then realized the engine alternator circuit was not connecting to the coach circuit to charge the coach batteries.

Any ideas on where to start trouble shooting this problem?. I'm on my first trip with this coach and for 3 weeks, until today the chassis and coach 12VDC systems systems were joined together .

NavyJoe, Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

The first question I have, is do they charge while running the Generator?

And if your in a campground tonight is the Charger / Inverter Charging the batteries ?

Rich.

Sounds like a bad BIRD.  Its a relay that lets the alternator charge the house batteries when start batteries are full, same in reverse.  $35 at NAPA.

5 hours ago, manholt said:

Sounds like a bad BIRD.  Its a relay that lets the alternator charge the house batteries when start batteries are full, same in reverse.  $35 at NAPA.

Thanks  Manholt, this rig predates a Bird and circuit breakers. It has 3  type 31 batteries for both starting (big diesel) and coach and a very large contactor and some electronics to control it. Same principal just much bigger.

9 hours ago, dickandlois said:

NavyJoe, Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

The first question I have, is do they charge while running the Generator?

And if your in a campground tonight is the Charger / Inverter Charging the batteries ?

Rich.

Thanks Rich, The answerer to both is yes.

10 hours ago, bm02tj said:

The battery bank should be connected to alternator via a solenoid that is engaged when in run mode   

That is correct bur yesterday on our trip that was not happening.

Thanks Joe !
That could mean a defective
Battery Isolator - 130 Amp , Alternator issues or the relay that others have mentioned .

Rich.

Battery Isolater is an easy check. Center post is from alternator. Lower post most times is to house bank and upper is to chassis batteries. With volt meter and engine running test all three post. Center post measures alternator, should be approximately 13.75 volts. Both of the others should be the same. If not then you have a battery Isolater.

Be sure all terminals are clean. 

Herman 

First determine if the alternator has the correct output. If there is no output the first thing to check is the voltage regulator, many replace an alternator when only the internal voltage regulator is faulty, big cost difference.

According to the sales brochure your MH came with 4 12V coach batteries and 2 12V chassis batteries, and an electronic battery control center. To me that indicates ALL the battery wiring is suspect.

Edited by rayin

Basically the same as my old coach, 2010  American Tradition 45Y, instead of 4 12V, I had 8 6V ( 2 banks of 4 and a Magnum 2812 for each bank) all electric coach!

1 hour ago, manholt said:

Basically the same as my old coach, 2010  American Tradition 45Y, instead of 4 12V, I had 8 6V ( 2 banks of 4 and a Magnum 2812 for each bank) all electric coach!

3 hours ago, rayin said:

According to the sales brochure your MH came with 4 12V coach batteries and 2 12V chassis batteries, and an electronic battery control center. To me that indicates ALL the battery wiring is suspect.

Thats about it. Just at some point the previous owner went with 3 and 3 all AGM type. At least in all of my checking out all that I could I learned a lot! even found the terminals loose on one of the engine cranking batteries. It did crank faster this morning 😁.

Well today it all worked perfectly! Yesterday I had some glitch somewhere. Time to see if I can get Fleetwood to send me some wiring diagrams. Thanks all for your input and help. Much appreciated.

Have a Happy 4th!   Glad we could help some!  There's about 200 years worth of RV (Coach) experience on this page..😂