deanie8

Dead battery in my toad

My 2013 Honda CRV is flat towed with the Blue Ox and Patriot braking system. I make sure everything is turned off upon departure but the CRV battery was dead after towing for about 4 hours. I purchased a new battery. Can anyone give me advice on disconnecting fuses to protect my new battery while towing?

I would add a charge line from RV to auto. Suggest that use #10 wire with a 20amp circuit breaker on both ends. #12 wire is rated at 20amp, but I prefer to go one gage larger. 

On 3/30/2022 at 12:16 PM, deanie8 said:

My 2013 Honda CRV is flat towed with the Blue Ox and Patriot braking system. I make sure everything is turned off upon departure but the CRV battery was dead after towing for about 4 hours. I purchased a new battery. Can anyone give me advice on disconnecting fuses to protect my new battery while towing?

I have a  2014 Honda CRV. One thing I did was buy a bigger battery when the original quit holding a charge. I also run the car when we stop for lunch. 

Bill 

I put in the charge line and could run off the towed continuously but instead have used a portable battery unit that I siet on the passenger side foot area and run the Patriot brake unit off that .. charge up at nights ... have used it several times to help start other's towed vehicles with dead battery.

It only takes one wire from your RV plug to the towed battery.. The RV will treat the battery as if it was part of the RV system and keep it charged.....

deanie8, consult your CRV manual.  It will tell you what fuse(s) need to be pulled.. although they are a pain to do.  Agree a charge line added should work or instead of a charge line take a look at  RVi's Towed Battery Charger Plus.  There are some good Youtube sites dealing specifically with the Honda CRV and a dead battery when towing.

3 hours ago, wer2lucky said:

deanie8, consult your CRV manual.  It will tell you what fuse(s) need to be pulled.. although they are a pain to do.  Agree a charge line added should work or instead of a charge line take a look at  RVi's Towed Battery Charger Plus.  There are some good Youtube sites dealing specifically with the Honda CRV and a dead battery when towing.

Welcome to the form. I have seen people with CR-Vs have the key in the wrong position. You can tell real quick because the daytime running lights are on. Free tip of the day push the button and have it on Recykle air. This helps to keep exaust fumes/smell out of the car.

Bill