timnjulie

Generator power to coach

I have a 2005 Thor Damon Astoria 3769 class A motorhome with a Generac 7,500 diesel generator. Several days before I left on trip I used generator and everything was working fine. 2 days later when leaving for a trip noticed no power to coach, generator was running fine. I had shore power to coach no problem. There were no breakers tripped or fuses blown. Any ideas? Someone thought could be voltage regulator. I had it looked at by a technician recommended by campground and that’s what he thought. He checked all connections, contacts, switches, etc. Forgot to note, I was plugged into garage outlet with powercord and power was lost for 5 hours, don’t know if there’s a correlation, I had a surge protector and nothing tripped. 

Edited by timnjulie
Left out details

Correct, the breaker on generator did not trip. It’s running fine, and starts right up. But when I am on generator power only there’s no power to the coach. 

Try turning the breaker on the generator off and on a few times. Sometimes it is hard to see the breaker tripped. It also will start and run with breaker tripped. Hope this helps.

I suspect a faulty transfer switch or burned contacts if all breakers are working properly. Have you tested for 120VAC at the power cord from the genset (inside the transfer switch box)? Do not switch power sources when large appliances are running, it can cause arcing between the contacts, which then eventually causes failure.

DISCLAIMER If you are unsure of your ability to perform such a test, call a professional!

I replaced the generator voltage regulator and it’s acting up again. I can run 1 A/C unit at a time, microwave comes on but won’t warm food. Only getting 80 volts to coach. Repair shop thinks it’s a bad regulator that I put in, I bought it new from Generac. Any idea’s? I appreciate any suggestions. Thanks. Tim