elkhartjim

Interview Curtis Coleman for Nat'l President

March 1, 2023 RVVillage shut down,  after being renamed RoadPass Digital, details here: https://www.rvtravel.com/rvillage-social-media-site-rvers-shut/ 

It was supposed to be an alternative to Facebook but when the closure was announced, members were asked to transfer to Facebook.

My takeaway was the million dollars a year FMCA is losing, the number of chapters disappearing, and the average age of the membership is getting older. 

17 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

My takeaway was the million dollars a year FMCA is losing, the number of chapters disappearing, and the average age of the membership is getting older. 

FMCA isn't the only such organization in this situation.  That made me remember a saying " All things must end", but with the right person, at the right time, the end can be delayed.

Before I scrolled down to this thread, I noticed a new thread by a new member.  The thread title was " what did I get for joining? Nothing yet". That is a sad commentary on FMCA management at HQ.; but that's just my opinion.

15 hours ago, rayin said:

FMCA isn't the only such organization in this situation.  That made me remember a saying " All things must end", but with the right person, at the right time, the end can be delayed.

Before I scrolled down to this thread, I noticed a new thread by a new member.  The thread title was " what did I get for joining? Nothing yet". That is a sad commentary on FMCA management at HQ.; but that's just my opinion.

It just so happens its the only one losing a million dollars a year that I belong to.

I understand why the new member asked this question. The only benefit to me is the Medic-Evac. 

9 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

It just so happens its the only one losing a million dollars a year that I belong to.

I understand why the new member asked this question. The only benefit to me is the Medic-Evac. 

Ditto!

So, what is FMCA spending money on? 

-the magazine should be self-sustainable with advertisers.

- the conventions should be self sustainable with entry fees and booths from vendors.

- The website should be self-sustainable with advertising.

The yearly dues should cover the club insurance, the other benifits that dont have extra fees,  paid positions in the club, and advertising/promotions (and probably a bunch of small stuff).

Remember, this club was profitable in 1970 with less than 10,000 members, a magazine, a gift benifit for recruting new members, discounts for insurance, and several other benifits.  Things have changed and prices have gone up, but ask yourself, if we started an all new club, what would you include, and what would you get rid of?  There has to be too much $$ being spent somewhere.

To get answers to to where the money goes, you can go to the governance area here on the website and check two places. One is the National Treasurers area and then to the FMCA Governing Board area. There you can download the GB booklet that has the treasurers report and a pie chart (pages 4-7) that shows where the money goes and then the proposed 024 budget. Interesting reading for sure

Coleman is right on the money and correct when he says that FMCA needs to grow membership.  I think there is a Big pool of potential members in the people who are working on the road. Some full time some part time. We should be adding services that add value to them. That would  bring in a younger group. 

Coleman is right on the money and correct when he says that FMCA needs to be run like a non profit that it is and not like a for profit. We need more people experienced at growing non profit organizations.

For example, when was the last time you recruited somebody new? 

Bill

2 hours ago, wildebill308 said:

For example, when was the last time you recruited somebody new? 

Bill

I stopped because the first question is always, why, what are the benefits for me? Its common knowledge that unless you're a diehard Michelin fan, you can buy different tire brands much cheaper on the open market and I've heard others say they have beat the FMCA Michelin prices from local dealers. Maybe you can or maybe you can't.

For me the only real benefit is the Medical Evacuation plan and to the younger 10 feet tall and bulletproof generation thats not of much interest. The mega rallies that cater to the 60-80 years olds are of no interest to younger people. I remember a few years ago on the forum there was a young energetic man with younger kids trying to get some interest in starting a chapter for young people with families or to have special activities at the rallies for kids. He tried for months and never garnered any interest. I doubt he is still a member. 

I've always wondered with all FMCA members who hold offices on various committees, governance, chapters, etc, why they don't participate on this forum. Tell us what their goals, plans, etc are for FMCA, chapters, etc.

It sounds like Curtis has some good ideas but his challenge is winning over the well this is how we've always done it attitude of the hierarchy. 

Edited by elkhartjim

After I joined FMCA, their tire page used to have a statment something like: " before using the Michelin discount ask the local dealer, they may be able to sell Michelin tire for less than the program".

When I asked about using the discount program my local dealer said I do not participate in the program.  IMO HQ should be actively monitoring their tire program offerings for cost/benefit and usefulness to members. Then again, I have no say because I do not pay to be a chapter member, mainly due to DW's condition.

On 7/24/2023 at 6:51 PM, dons2346 said:

To get answers to to where the money goes, you can go to the governance area here on the website and check two places. One is the National Treasurers area and then to the FMCA Governing Board area. There you can download the GB booklet that has the treasurers report and a pie chart (pages 4-7) that shows where the money goes and then the proposed 024 budget. Interesting reading for sure

thanks, i tried, but that information is only available for chapter officers.

All the complaining about lack of content and benefits proves what Curtis Coleman said. The FMCA needs to be run as what it is a non profit org. They have ben trying to use the methods of a "for profit" business and it isn't working. For instance when the magazine started having less profit they cut the staff so now there are fewer to sell advertising write/research stories. There is a 2 sided blade in that if you have a smaller circulation/fewer members you can't charge as much for advertising. Less adds mean a smaller publication. They need to grow the paid staff so they can improve benefits and services. This will help increase membership. The same goes for the IT department and all areas.

Bill

On 7/26/2023 at 7:00 AM, aztec7fan said:

thanks, i tried, but that information is only available for chapter officers.

The Governing Board book can be found HERE. It is available to anyone

11 hours ago, dons2346 said:

The Governing Board book can be found HERE. It is available to anyone

thank you!  very interesting!