bjstanley

FMCA Roadside Rescue, "Sorry, we can't help you".

50 miles west of Casper, WY on Wednesday of this week with a Cummins "engine shut down" countdown message decreasing from 30 seconds on the dash display, I fortunately found a reasonable shoulder on the highway to pull our coach over before all power was lost.  By the way, this was not a de-rate but a total engine shutdown message so I had little time to get off the roadway in a somewhat safe manner!  Thankfully we had cell service so my first call was to the Cummins Dealer in Casper to see if they would be able to work on our coach and the service manager agreed to work us in within a few days if we had it towed there.  They recommended 2 local towing companies that would be capable of towing our coach.  We've been enrolled with FMCA Roadside Rescue for many years and thankfully, have never had to use them so was glad that this service was available to us in our time of need.  The call to the 800 number went well and the dispatcher said that we should have a truck enroute in moments and sent a text message that would allow me to track their progress which is of great comfort. I gave them the information for the local tow companies that was given to me by the Cummins Dealer.  All is working as it should then the problems started. No updates for over an hour until finally Roadside Rescue called back and said, "Sorry, we cannot help you so we have called non-emergency 911 for you".  WHAT!  The caller said that they had called "many services and no one can tow you and she repeated, Sorry but we can't do anything else".  That's not what a member needs to hear when an emergency occurs.  I immediately called one of the companies recommended by the Cummins dealer and the call screener promptly replied, "we can help.  I'll have a truck enroute within minutes".  It was nearly 6 hours later when we finally arrived at the Cummins lot in Casper with the towing company and our coach after that first call to FMCA and we were glad that at least we were safe but really wondering why FMCA failed us.  The tow driver did an exceptional job and we are extremely pleased with their service.  Not so much with FMCA Roadside Rescue.  If I had not already given them the appropriate information for local companies that could handle our coach, I can understand why perhaps FMCA (VAS) could not reach a provider but it appears as if that was not the case.  Here our coach sits, nearly 700 miles from home with us wondering, why did FMCA Roadside Rescue drop the ball?  We are not happy with FMCA Roadside Rescue and from our experience, cannot recommend this "benefit". FMCA Member #F497615

sorry about your mechanical issue, and problem with RR.  Keep in mind with all these roadside assistance programs, they have a "network" of service providers they can call, but sometimes they cant or wont be able to provide service.  im guessing the company you called was not in their network.

I'd suggest you send a copy of the tow bill to RR and see if you can get a reimbursement for your costs.

As noted, these ERS companies use virtually the same companies to provide service.  Coach Net, Good Sam, FMCA....take your pick, it's the luck of the draw.

One problem I heard is the ERS companies don't want to pay the going rate and are slow to pay the towing companies. So it is hard to get the towing companies to take jobs. 

Bill

BJ,  Call them again and request to speak with a supervisor. When asked why, just say uninformed operators. Now the regular operators can only read the computer screen and respond accordingly..

They are required to call their entire list of providers to find the lowest cost quoted, then dispatch that  provider - if they find one.  Only a supervisor has the authority to approve your bill from the towing company and authorize reimbursement. Most likely they will mail you the form to complete and attach to your bill, which will be marked "paid in full" naturally.

Even when given the name of a towing company capable of towing your rig that is NOT on their list of approved providers the operator and/or supervisor must go through the  lowest cost procedure again, company rules.

Been there done that with Good Sam ERS. I've read the same complaints on a different RV discussion forum about Coach_Net, AAA, and others.

Edited by rayin

Wow.  Wish I would have seen this thread earlier.  I just paid $159 to FMCA Roadside Rescuce / Safe Ride for a new one year contract.   Given that I recently retired from Conoco/ConocoPhillips/Phillips 66 after a 40-1/2 year career the wife and I finally have time for more adventures with our motorhome.   We need a reliable roadside assistance service as we are in the "chit will happen" club with our motorhome.  

21 hours ago, rayin said:

BJ,  Call them again and request to speak with a supervisor. When asked why, just say uninformed operators. Now the regular operators can only read the computer screen and respond accordingly..

They are required to call their entire list of providers to find the lowest cost quoted, then dispatch that  provider - if they find one.  Only a supervisor has the authority to approve your bill from the towing company and authorize reimbursement. Most likely they will mail you the form to complete and attach to your bill, which will be marked "paid in full" naturally.

Even when given the name of a towing company capable of towing your rig that is NOT on their list of approved providers the operator and/or supervisor must go through the  lowest cost procedure again, company rules.

Been there done that with Good Sam ERS. I've read the same complaints on a different RV discussion forum about Coach_Net, AAA, and others.

One of the reasons why we've carried FMCA RR for many years was just for an instance like this-700 miles from home and no idea where we might be able to find help.  Knowing that a dispatcher would be available from FMCA RR 24/7 and that they would be able to use their resources to make a contact necessary to help us was apparently a mistaken assumption in this case.  Fortunately the Cummins dealer I called was a big help when I had to make my own arrangements.  Without that assistance, I'm not too sure how this would have turned out.

After I finally made my own call to a towing company and made the arrangements (to the company that I had given FMCA RR the information for), I returned the call back to FMCA RR to find out what my recourse was.  The RR Agent again apologized for not being able to help and said there was nothing they could do.  I asked about reimbursement for towing and the Agent said that I would have to write the company and see if there was any possibility and that there was nothing further that they could do.  At that point, I really didn't care what it was going to cost us in the end as by that time, my experience with FMCA RR was clouding my judgement.  

So, in the contract apparently, it should read "we'll try to find you help with one of out network providers but if they are not available/capable, you're on your own"?  I guess the clause that reads, "Services are not available where state providers are exclusively utilized" should have been my clue.  Ask to talk to a supervisor when the Agent can't help you it seems.  There may be reimbursement if I file a complaint it sounds like but, reimbursement was really not the main reason we've used FMCA RR for years. 

All I really wanted was someone to help by making one call to the 800 number in our time of need.  

I wanted to post an update to my OP.  As suggested, I did contact the road assistance plan provider to see what my options were and was transferred to a very helpful claims employee who provided me with all necessary forms to complete and return.  I am happy to report that I received in the mail yesterday a check for full reimbursement of the towing bill.  

My experience suggests as others have mentioned, if you need assistance and do not received a satisfactory first response, call again and ask for a supervisor that may have the authority to make the necessary arrangements outside of their normal network of providers.  In my case, I was fortunate to make a call to a Cummins repair facility that would work me in and then also could suggest an appropriate towing company.  

BJ --

I can sympathize with your terrible service from FMCA Roadside Rescue (SafeRide).  Two weeks ago my engine "died" and dashboard went "dark" late on a Monday evening on the way to my storage facility just a few miles from my home in the greater Houston area.  I called the FMCA RR phone number to get a tow truck and after four hours of now towing help and several calls to FMCA RR I finally took action on my own to get a tow truck.  Every time I called the FMCA RR phone number it was answered by a different person who could not find a record of a previous phone call !!   The service from FMCA RR was simply "crap".    The only good news was the towing company (All Out Heavy Duty Towing) was fantastic in working with FMCA RR to have them pay the $2,000 towing bill per the FMCA RR contract and reimburse me the $2,000 I had to pay up front.   After this horrible experience with FMCA RR, when my contract expires I will try Good Sam Roadside Rescue or some other provider.  

I provided honest, candid feedback to FMCA RR / SafeRide about my terrible experience and received zero follow-up from FMCA or SafeRide which tells me they have ZERO concern for customer service!!   I also contacted FMCA directly via the Contact Us link at the top of the FMCA homepage.   I'm waiting to see if anyone from FMCA responds.

BJ, when you get a chance please contact FMCA directly.

The cause of my engine shutdown was found to be a bad ignition relay module.  

Edited by fagnaml

On 9/16/2023 at 9:16 AM, erniee said:

Coach-net for the win

Coach Net has always been good for me except when I was locked out of my box trailer and could not get my handicap scooter out of it.  Ended up have to buy bolt cutters to cut the padlock.  They refused to call a lock smith for me.  Said that they would if it was for my car.