warrens

Extension Cord Adaptor, does it step down to 120V?

.  I bought an adaptor to go from a rented  generator to my 30 amp power cord for my 2009 Monaco Dynasty motorhome. The generator side of the adaptor is a 3 prong twist lock.  The generator output that accepts that plug is rated at 30amps, 240 volts.  Will that adaptor step the voltage down to 120 volts? 

Maybe I'm miss reading your question...are you saying the generator is putting out 240 volts?

Edited by five

I would be very concerned that a rented generator is not providing the correct voltage on each "leg" of the RV, but producing 240 v which will bust things, considerably.

The generator will have a ground and two 120v lines equaling 240v

most generators with 240 volt uses a 4 prong plug. 3 prong is normally 120 volt   

check with voltmeter 

4 hours ago, bm02tj said:

most generators with 240 volt uses a 4 prong plug. 3 prong is normally 120 volt   

check with voltmeter 

Exactly!

I think the author is stating the plug is RATED for 240V, not that it's actually putting that voltage out. As my friend Bill stated, these adaptors do not change the voltage. If it is 3-prong receptacle, it is 120V. 

11 hours ago, sfroese said:

I think the author is stating the plug is RATED for 240V, not that it's actually putting that voltage out. As my friend Bill stated, these adaptors do not change the voltage. If it is 3-prong receptacle, it is 120V. 

Do you realize you're responding to a post made in Oct 2023?

Gotcha. Welcome to the forum.

I hope he hasn't been paying rent on that genset since Oct waiting on a relevant answer.

On 4/1/2024 at 10:14 PM, sfroese said:

The question is from Oct. 2023. I suspect the thread is now moot.

13 hours ago, rayin said:

The question is from Oct. 2023. I suspect the thread is now moot.

Poor guy has been paying rent on that genset a long time, Ray.