danorske

First-aid kit recommendations

It's easy to go overboard on this. We have a simple Johnson & Johnson 200 item kit that cost about $25 at Walmart. We figured with this and other items in our bathroom pantry we would be pretty much covered for most minor emergencies.

Don

Guest Wayne77590

Band Aids, and Aloe Vera cream.

Anything else needed and it's off to the emergency room.

The above are good if you are staying with your vehicle.

If like us you take to trails in remote areas, you might want to include a number of other items.

An emergency communicator like the SPOT is at the top of our list. We've never used it and hope not to but it gives us peace of mind with it in our backpack. One caution on SPOT. There have been reports lately of all the people who use this device improperly. It is not to be used for minor problems which you can treat and then evacuate on your own. SPOT is an emergency communicator to be used in life threatening situations where you can not get to help on your own.

Second, a small booklet on first aid (studied carefully before you pack it) will be a good guide if you are in an emergency. Sometimes it is difficult to remember everything when you are faced with an emergency.

Then it is ABC: Airway, Bleeding, Control Shock. Clearing an airway is pretty much just checking the mouth and knowing the Heimlich maneuver. Stopping bleeding can be done with any item of clothing, a clean rag or with bandages. Loosening clothing and keeping a person warm will help control shock. A space blanket is handy to control shock. We also pack aspirin for anyone suspected of heart attack.

A cell phone can be used to call for help if there is phone service and if not, use SPOT if you have it with you.

Then there are a host of convenience items, sun block, insect repellent, your favorite anti-itch/insect bite treatment, lip balm, eye drops, headache and allergy medication and an emergency two or three day supply of any prescription medication. Extra food or candy bars should be packed if you have blood sugar issues. Include some matches in a waterproof container and some water treatment tablets and you have a nice survival kit.

If you are hiking in bear country, you'll want to check with the locals regarding safety equipment. Canada restricts some bear deterrent products. There may be other hazards specific to any remote area and it is always wise to talk to local outdoors experts before setting out on a trail.

We have our first aid kit in a day pack in our toad so it is available when we are out and about with the toad as well as when we are on the trail. Storing it in the toad does require checking and replacing some items that are heat sensitive. We maintain a separate heavier pack for our cross country flying. This one is truly a survival kit designed to allow us to live off the land for several days until help can reach us. Even with SPOT, sometimes rescue personnel are unable to reach an area due to weather or other issues.

I depends upon where you travel and what first aid knowledge you have. It's one thing if you are never too far from emergency care, and another if you go into remote areas (especially if you do hiking where you may be a day or more away from emergency help. And all the equipment in the world is useless if you don't know how to use it.

I generally think the store bought kits are expensive, and especially the cheaper ones don't really have much in them other than bandages, over-the-counter pain meds, and antiseptic wipes. You can often make up your own kit with items you already have in your medicine cabinet at home.

I would recommend the book "A Comprehensive Guide to Wilderness and Travel Medicine," by Eric A. Weiss, M.D. It includes an appendix on emergency kits.

I am a believer of adequate First aid kits. You do need materials to stop bleeding and the knowledge to do heart chest compressions and re-start breathing... especially if you camp in areas that are some distance from medical facilities.

Excellent first aid kitas are available from REI, the sporting goods store.

We have 3 of the Adventure Fundamental kits. They are very complete and One for each car and the RV. They do have first aid books in case you need a quick refresher ;-0

See:

http://www.rei.com/category/4500543

I also agree with adding Quickclot. REI sells it in their stores. I did not see it in their on-line store... But Amazon sells it

Some good replies here that all miss the most important item, as far as I'm concerned. After 31 years of responding to emergencies of all types as a professional firefighter, the thing I hear most often is "I wish I'd taken a class and knew what to do". A knowledgable person can improvise many items, but without the ability to recognize the problem and then figure out how to fix it, you will be frustrated when the emergency happens.

Yes you can read the book..... if you carry one, and if you can figure out which part to read during the emergency. You could also overhaul your RV's transmission if you had the book. But, how practical is it to rely on that without the hands on training to go with it?

Fancy kits, new super duper blood clotting agents (which the military is now reevaluating due to some problems encountered with it's use) and one of every splint in the book doesn't fix the problem if you haven't trained and practiced the techniques needed.

Electronic calls for help are wonderful, if they work where you are, and if the help can get to you in time. Several people have died on Mt. Hood in Oregon in recent years that were able to call for help on their cell phones and talk to the dispatcher. Without the proper survival gear, and due to weather related problems getting to them, they perished.

In short there is no one right answer. But, as I said above, all the equipment in the world won't help if you can't recognize the problem correctly and make proper use of the tools you have. Take a good class, get a good book (and read it occasionally) and practice with the materials you decide are right for your level of knowledge and availability.

bucks2,

I agree with your pitch on training.

Being an ex-rescue squad member and First Aid teacher I know that getting both the basic training and refreshers are important.

And RVers who put on highway miles and those who do remote camping do have very high potential of needing those skills either for themselves or others.

Good point bucks2!

The Red Cross has some excellent first aid kits at very reasonable prices. If you are in an area with poisonous snakes I would recommend a snake bit extraction kit. Good Luck and Stay Safe!

It all depends on where you plan on going. Standard first aid courses are great if you will be able to call 911 but if you are going to areas not covered by 911 or it is going to take the first responders a couple of hours to get to you there is a whole different set of problems. Suppose two of you are hiking and it will take you a couple of hours to summon help. In case of injury, do you leave the injured person and walk out to get help? Think of some scenarios with animals, weather, hydration problems, bleeding, broken bones and don't forget respiratory and heart problems. CPR may not be appropriate. If you are going any place where getting help may take an extended amount of time, I think you need to take Wilderness first aid In addition no first aid kit should be without 4 survival blankets per person if you are going to be out in the elements. Just some thoughts. Wouldn't it be nice if FMCA offered some of this information at rallies?

Ward