bschilz

Crossing By Ferry For First Time

We want to venture into Canada for the first time with our new motorhome. Our motorhome is 43ft long and we are towing a 15ft car behind us.

Not having done this before, I'm not sure what I'm getting myself into. We plan to cross at Port Angeles into Victoria and then Victoria to Vancouver. It looks like there are two ferry companies (Blackball & BC Ferries) I'll be using. Any special precautions and/or tips on how to make the trip as hassle free as possible? Thanks in advance for your help!

Guest BillAdams

Follow the loaders directions exactly. The rest is easy. Just drive up, get in line and wait. They do this all day everyday with cars, RV's and tractor-trailers so you will not feel terrible special but there are specific places you must be parked for the loading unloading process will go smoothly.

We've been on ferries numerous times. We've gone to and from Vancouver Island, several ferries in Yukon and NW Territories, to and from Grand Manan, NB several times and to Prince Edward Island. Several of these were tiny, most were large. All handled our motor home without any problem. We did get parked-in one time. We couldn't get the door open to exit. They parked us too close to a railing about eight feet off the ground. The loader was looking at the ground and tires and didn't realize that the railing up high blocked opening our door. We've never had to disconnect to load or unload but I did have to fold the mirrors in one time on a small ferry that barely had room to get us through the loading door! I had to trust the loader, I couldn't see what clearance I had behind me as I drove onto the ferry. They took it slow and we got on and off without a scratch. As we drove up the ramp exiting the ferry we got applause from the crowd of onlookers waiting to board the ferry and watching the process!

Thanks to you both! How far ahead should I plan to get in a loading lane? I've heard you need to be there close to the last departure to ensure you get on the next ferry. I don't know if it's seasonal or not... we'll be traveling in September. Thanks again!

COHO is American - take it from Port Angeles to Victoria.

BC Ferries is Canadian. Take it from Victoria to Vancouver.

Might be a good idea to reserve a space on both ferries. Both have website where this can be done.

Costs about $20 reservation fee, and it guarantees space. You can also estimate the ferry costs on these websites.

There is a base fee, then so much per foot over a certain length. Probably be around $300 for your coach and toad.

In the past, I've found it was not worth it to unhook the toad. You will save a few bucks, but not a lot.

Both ferries have restaurants on board.

IIRC, once on board the COHO, you will not have access to your coach until docking. Not so on the BC ferries.

If you have pets, this may be a factor. Pets are allowed on the outside deck on COHO; not on the BC.

We put ours in a crate inside the coach and have never had a problem.

Depending on where you will be on Vancouver Island, you have some options. If you will be up-island,

you can take the ferry from Nanaimo, about an hour and a half north of Victoria, to Vancouver.

Enjoy the Island.

GM

Since I live in Port Angeles area and have numerous trips to Vancouver Island via the Coho, I'll chime in. Shouldn't be a problem. Going to Victoria (North Bound), you load driving straight on the rear of the ferry. As mentioned, follow the loaders directions. Eighteen Wheelers typically are side by side with you. Getting off is a little more difficult. You exit via a big door on the right side of the ferry near the front of the ferry. If the loader gives you a preference when loading I would recommend to you that you take as far left lane as possible, that way you get maximum amount of right turning swing going out the exit hatch. The ferry docks on both sides offer plenty of room to maneuver. They try to "stack the cars" on the outside lanes and off load them first. That way, larger rigs have more maneuvering room.

Another hint, especially when traveling north. Try to take that days last ferry north. That way, you can park ovenight in the Government Buildings parking lot. Last time across, they did not mind it at all. You do have to rise & shine early enough to be on your way up island so the government workers can use the lot. If going up Island on the Island Hwy, about 50 miles north of Victoria there is a Log Cabin Style restaurant on the east side of the hwy that has some of the best breakfast you will ever eat. Don't forget to stop at the Cowichan Native Heritage Centre on the south end of Duncan, and I betcha you won't be able to resist getting one of the hand-knitted sweaters.

The real beauty of the Island is the wild and rugged west coast (be prepared for a very narrow & twisty & scarey road), and north of Campbell River. We are especially fond of the Port McNeil/Alert Bay area and our very favorite RV/Marina is Alder Bay (www.alderbayresort.com) on Telegraph Cove road. High season, they are booked very early, resevations are adviseable.

The BC Ferries out of Twaueesun (sp.) are quite a bit larger than the Coho and are designed to be double ended. That means they are straight on and straight off. The downside is you kind of miss Victoria.

Guest BillAdams

One last piece of advice. Bring LOTS of money (a CC with a high balance) as this is not a cheap passage. Port Angeles to Victoria is expensive and then Victoria to Vancouver will take your breathe away!

I store my coach on Saltspring Island, where I have rec property. I ferried across from Vancouver to Nanaimo, then from Crofton to Vesuvius. The day I chose, the regular Crofton ferry was in the shop, and the replacement (smaller) ferry was one with a single overheight lane down the middle. That was fine, except that, over the years, they have added stuff to the side walls of that lane, to the point they added a couple of 4" steel pipes at each end, standing off from the sides of that lane far enough to protect all the added stuff. I stopped just before entering, and had to go find the 5/32" allan key to loosen my mirrors so I could swing them out of the way, in order to fit the much reduced lane width. The ferry crew were fine with directing me through after I explained by newly acquired blindness. Those little ferries also have a very steep ramp, so you should be prepared to drag your trailer hitch, or worse, as you get on and off.

I returned to Vancouver via Fulford to Swartz bay, then to Tsawassen, and had no issues with the boats on those runs.

I pull a dolly with a car on it,and I found that you can save a few bucks by separating the toad from the coach, if you have a willing extra driver.

This information is now 7 years old, so I thought I'd poll the community for an update.

We are doing a big loop trip this summer from Phoenix, Santa Fe, Black Hills, Glacier, Banff, Vancouver BC, Olympic NP, Crater Lake NP, Bay area, LA and home. I started wondering if maybe between Vancouver and Olympic NP, we MIGHT be able to go by ferry, to make for a more enjoyable trip It seems we can (or could, as of 7 years ago).

• We have a 40-41' DP towing a Jeep. 
  • Is there a specific ferry company/companies we should use?
  • I assume there isn't a direct connection between Vancouver and Port Angeles?
  • Is there anywhere to stay in a 40' RV near Victoria (on Vancouver Island)?
  • Any idea how long (time) each leg of the trip is?
  • We have 3 cats who stay in the RV - will we be able to access the RV while on the ferry? We don't NEED to be able to do so, because they are chill cats, but I'd like to know in advance if it's possible to check on them.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Diana

Summer Trip GoodSam Map.jpg

Diana,

It looks as if you have yourself a fairly ambitious plan. My only concern is that it looks as if you will be traveling most everyday and not being able to see any thing but the view out your windshield. We have always tried to make our plans to travel to a point we would like to visit, spend the night, visit the area, then spend the night and travel the next. 

Couldn't tell if day 4 is Pueblo of Colorado Springs. Colorado Springs has the Olympic Training Canter and the Air Force Academy both really two places to visit. Cheyenne is only really good for us since our kids and grand kids live there. In Custer SD you have Mt Rushmore which is not to be missed and you can always visit Sturgis unless you are going the first of August . Really bad time. you are going to be very close to Yellowstone on day 8. Can't take you further but Wildebill , Tom & Louise and several others can help from there.

Hope you have a great trip.

Drive Safe.

Herman

The actual trip is not just a marathon drive :D - we're taking 2 months or so. The current plan looks approximately like this:

Goodyear to Gallup: 297 miles (stopover)
Gallup to Santa Fe: 199 (staying 3 or 4 nights - TBD)
Santa Fe to Pueblo CO: 295 (staying 1 or 2 nights - TBD)
Pueblo to Cheyenne WY: 197 (stopover)
Cheyenne to Hot Springs SD: 254 (4 nights)
Hot Springs to Garryowen MT: 328 (hoping to have time to see the Custer Battlefield there, but only staying one night)
Garryowen to Bozeman: 228 (stopover)
Bozeman to Glacier NP: 324 (9 nights)
Glacier to Radium Hot Springs AB: 225 (6 nights)
Radium HS to Kamloops BC: 288 (stopover)
Kamploops to Vancouver BC: 213 (3 nights)
Vancouver to Olympia NP: 208 (4 nights) - this is where we might want to go by ferry instead
Olympic NP to Astoria OR: 228 (2 nights)
Astoria to Tigard OR: 95 (stopover and to see my cousin)
Tigard to Bend: 168 (stopover)
Bend to Crater Lake NP: 127 (3 nights)
Crater Lake NP to Redding CA: 194 (stopover)
Redding to Gilroy(ish): 283 (10 nights)

After that, I'm more vague, because I don't know how long we really want to stay in the Bay area, but something like this:

Gilroy to Pismo Beach: 156
Pismo to Long Beach: 199 (a few days to see friends and family)
Long Beach to home: 362 (a long haul - maybe stop in Palm Springs, but ... in early August it will be miserable there)

You also take the WA State ferry from Anacortes to Sidney BC (Vancouver Island) it will stop in the San Juan Islands on the way.

They run a half price special for RV's in the summer months.

Jim

There is a RV Park in Sidney and will take 45 foot (like mine).  I was there 3 years ago and it was $25 for elect. and water, they have a dump station!  The Ferry from Victoria to Port A. is about a 3 hour trip and cost a bundle....I used to take it a lot between May and September, back in 1977 to 1990 (Salmon fishing on the river)!  Up to 34' DP with toad and 2 MC, not expensive.... 2015 Not doing that again!