mario.lamarca

Mattress Replacement

We just purchased a Newmar Kountry Star 2008 Diesel pusher and have used it a couple of times. It quickly became obvious that the queen mattress in the bedroom caused pain after a few nights. We decided to replace it and I measured the mattress at 60 x 78, although the specs for that model show a full 60 x 80 queen. I am afraid if I buy a 60 x 80 the slides will not retract fully. The reason for wanting 60 x 80 is that these would be readily available at a mattress store while 60 x 78 would be a custom order. Has anyone had experience with this? I would appreciate your experience and advice.

Mario, let me be the first to welcome you to the Forum.

The 2 inches longer will have no effect on your slide. What you might look at is how much space is between the wall and the end of the mattress. If when the slide in in and you have several inches of space you should be OK. Just my opinion but even if you old mattress touches the replacement mattress being 2 inches longer won't matter it will only compress the mattress a little. :P

A lot of folks have swapped out the RV queen size mattress and put in a regular queen mattress. Most think the two inch squish when you close the slide is worth it.

Ward

Funny thing about how we ended up with "to die for" comfort. We opted for memory foam to top our run of the mill mattress. When our daughter flew down in April to meet up with us in Disneyland we knew she would never stop letting us know how badly she slept if we set he up on the pull out couch...so we went shopping at Costco and picked up a gel topper for her bed. She liked that. But after she left we had no room to store it so we put it on top of our bed...on top of the memory foam topper. Well wasn't that an OMG moment the first night. Now that we are home...it is hard not to go out to the MH to sleep. I am now "retopping" all the beds in the house rather than looking at mattress replacements!

From Victoria BC

Beaver Patriot owner.

We just purchased a Newmar Kountry Star 2008 Diesel pusher and have used it a couple of times. It quickly became obvious that the queen mattress in the bedroom caused pain after a few nights. We decided to replace it and I measured the mattress at 60 x 78, although the specs for that model show a full 60 x 80 queen. I am afraid if I buy a 60 x 80 the slides will not retract fully. The reason for wanting 60 x 80 is that these would be readily available at a mattress store while 60 x 78 would be a custom order. Has anyone had experience with this? I would appreciate your experience and advice.

Your post is a month old so you may have already made a decision on your mattress. However, I will provide my thoughts based on my experience in doing exactly what your are considering. I would definitely go with a conventional size mattress. Also if your mattress platform raises up for access to storage then the weight of the mattress needs to be a consideration. The memory foam mattresses are very heavy and the good quality conventional spring mattresses can also be heavy compared to the cheap OEM version. An alternative for consideration is a Sleep Number. Never had or considered a sleep number until it came with my current MH. To my surprise I am very happy with the comfort. It is very light compared to a conventional spring mattress. These are some thoughts for consideration.

Ray

Ha that sounds like a great idea. I am going to try that because my MH bed got the extra uneven springs package and feels like a slab of concrete in spots and a puddle of pudding in the others.

I recently installed a new memory foam 60x80 full queen mattress and have slept on it for 7 days so far. The brand is Ever-Pedic and is made in Elkhart. If you opt for a memery foam be sure it intended for rv use. It doesn't turn into a brick when cold.

An rv queen mattress is 60x74.

We ditched the dreadful stock mattress, bought a new plush-top for our master bedroom, carefully inched the old master bedroom queen-sized around the entryway horizontally and to the rig's bedroom pedestal. With the slide closed, it gently presses our drawers and keeps 'em secure and quiet en route :P

Has anyone had any experience replacing a mattress that has the top fourth of it fold up when not in use? Our Gulfstream SunVoyager has a king size mattress where the head of the bed is in the slide and the only way the slide will close is to raise the head of the mattress. The mattress has a split in it about a fourth of the way from the top for folding up. The sleep numbers sound great but I am quite sure they wouldn't work in this situation. The king size bed takes up so much room I wish we could put a queen in, but that would mean rebuilding the platform too. And that still wouldn't solve the split raised mattress issue.