debandjim

Flying J

I stopped by the Gibson, Pa. Flying J which is off I 81, exit 219 to fuel up my class a motor home. I planned on dumping, getting water and checking my tire pressure while fueling up. To my surprise Flying J no longer allows you to dump free of charge and does not have water fill up or tire pressure gauges at their RV islands. How can they say that Flying J is RV friendly when it eliminated all the conveniences it had when it was Flying J by itself without being a part of Pilot Fuel. What benefits do they offer to RVers to make us go to them vs any other fuel stations such as a TA Travel center, etc. Lets stop supporting them and find another fuel station that wants RVers business!!!!!!

Guest BillAdams

And who would you suggest? The dump now costs $5. Big deal. We recently stopped at another brand truck stop and they wanted $20. I am just glad to have a dump available should I ever need one. What is there (at least all I have stopped at) but you are right, the air does appear to be gone. I suspect that is as much due to trucker abuse than anything else as they always seemed pretty beat up to me.

So, find me that Nationwide truck center where everything you want is available and it's free and we can all agree to visit them instead. I guess you haven't been doing much traveling or reading on forums as this has all been going on for a long time since Pilot bought Flying J out of bankruptcy.

since Pilot bought Flying J out of bankruptcy.

While true, a more appropriate word would be "brought" (out of Bankruptcy). It is important to keep in mind that Flying J went "Out of Business" providing free all those things the OP is demanding as a "Right." That didn't do anyone any good. To expect Pilot to paddle down that stream is a failure to understand the symbiotic relationship between corporate profit and customer satisfaction.

Guest BillAdams

The details of Flying J's bankruptcy had little or nothing to do with what they were doing for free but rather the fuel futures that they purchased before the price of oil collapsed and they could not pay the bills. I am sure there was more but that was the actual death of the company.

I do support the dump fee being charged but I don't think it will make the difference between Pilot/FJ making a profit.

The truth of the matter is that Pilot has enough truck business that we are merely a minor market. We don't even purchase enough fuel to come close to equaling their auto business. Our real loss is not the free things although those were a great convenience and earned our strong loyalty. The real loss is the fuel prices Flying J offered. They managed to keep their cash price for fuel four, five or six cents per gallon below other truck stops and they offered us cash price for credit and an additional small discount through FMCA membership. Now we are paying premium prices for diesel unless you can locate a local station that prices their diesel under the rest of the market. If they will continue their dedicated RV fueling lanes at the old Flying J stations, I'll continue to return. We use the truck lanes when we have to but they are usually so dirty that I much prefer the dedicated RV lanes. It was nice while it lasted!

Unforthuly the american public has come used to entitlements. Free this and free that. So here to all that thank that a fuel location should provide Free everything. Go out and purchase the needed 25 to 40 acres on a major highway for a Truck/RV fuel station. Build a convience store restraunt. Put down 15 to 30 acres of concrete or asphault. Put in several 10 to 15,000 gallon storage tanks. Plus a lot more.

Then put in a RV dump station, FREE, that has to be dumped into the very, very large septic system.(Which has to be inspected three or more time per year.) Put water to all the islands so people can fill their water tanks, FREE. and wash the bugs off their coach FREE and even sometimes using the windshield squiges to clean their coach FREE. While leaving a mess for someone else to clean up. And only charge for the fuel(While making less then $0.10 per gallon and having to pay anywhere from 3 to 12% to take your credit card.) Then see how long it would take to turn the site back into a pasture because you didn't make any money(then look at all the people that get mad because you went out of business)

I think that Flying J did a great job as long as they could and we as RVer should be thankful they did. I wish Flying J and Pilot the best of luck and hope the continue to provide our needs along the Highways and Byways.

I agree with Herman. My son and I owned two major brand convenience stores, one we built new, lot of $ went into both with .10-.15 cents gal. made at the pump. A lot of hard work,employee stealing, govt. regulations and a lot of others convinced us to get out.

Most rest areas where we travel have dump stations. I don't mind paying a min. amount to dump a take on fresh water.

Guest Wayne77590

You must not be a Frequent Fueler Advantage Member.

Well, I dump at CG's before I leave, but then I don't boondock so it's easy for me to say.

However, the biggest benefit that I have from PFJ (Pilot/Flying J) is their Frequent Fueler Advantage card. (Or whatever it is now called.) I pull into a PFJ, swipe their card, and auto pump start is authorized. I pull the nozzle out, fuel up, then go inside and pay with a 3 cent discount, cash or credit card. I really like the part that I don't have to go in first and leave my credit card, then go in again and pick it up after paying.

Now, if you are NOT a Frequent Fueler Advantage member, consider that "some" rv'ers have deposited items in the dump stations that require maintenance that I sure would not want to do. Some one has to pay for the maintenance on those things.

Here are the member benefits as posted on the PFJ web site:

" Instant fuel discounts at the pump on diesel, gas, and propane

$0.03 off diesel

$0.02 off gas

$0.10 off propane

$5 off dumping fees

Register your card to earn special members-only offers

Unlimited fuel discounts (no max gallons)

Pump Start (Truck diesel lanes only)

Members-only benefits such as the Coffe Club, buy 5 hot beverages and the 6th is on us!

"

So, just why is it you are not a member?

For me: Thanks Pilot/Flying J. I realize you are doing this as a courtesy to us RV'ers. Myself and many other PFJ Members appreciate it.

Well he really got thrown under the bus! Guess he hasn't been around for awhile so he hasn't been caught up on everything fun us travelers go through.

I also dump whenever I can, usually at a CG and can't remember ever using a J. I don't want to tie up everyone else that needs to fuel up. Besides I do

it fully so I need quite a bit more time to do more than just a quickie dump. As mentioned earlier $5.00 for dumping seems like a pretty good deal to

me as it could cost a bunch more somewhere else. Just be ready for the dump fee to go up to 10 or $15.00. Then we'll hear a lot more of the P&Ming going on.

For everyone's info I just fueled up at the FlyingJ in Black River Falls, WI at the truck pumps. The truck house is under renovation, and you have to go to the

main building, and I hope it isn't raining like it was for me. I gave the gal my J card and I had to do a pre-pay. I hate that! After I finished fueling I went in for

a receipt and low and behold I was charged the cc price @ $3.99 OUCH! The manager said nothing cando. Get ahold of corp. and they'll credit you. For

$3.00+ I don't think I'll go that route. Anyways it might of been different if I had used the car pump side but I wasn't sure if they had diesel on those pumps.

Just for your FYI. I also dump whenever I can and can't remember ever using a J.

Safe Travels

Guest Wayne77590

JohnFV2,

There are some states, like about 3 I think, that do not offer the discount, but the pump start feature should work. You just have to go to the PFJ web site and register your card. When you swipe the card at the truck stop pump of PFJ it will display the price on the pump, and it should be 3 cents less than the other prices. Again, if this is not one of the "restricted" states.

There have been reports, and I'm one of them, of stations not honoring the discount. If they are owned by PFJ, and not just an independent dealer with a PFJ logo, the discounts will be good. There is a PFJ station guide that can be downloaded from the PFJ site that lists all the stations that give the discounts. Personally, I don't worry about it as when I need fuel, I need fuel and I stop.

On the PFJ web site there is a "contact us" page and you can put in the particulars of your experience so that others may be better served.

Happy trails.

Edited:

John,

When I read the forum i start with the oldest to the newest post. I had not seen the post on the "official PFJ" thread. There is a lot of good information in it, and one of the states that does NOT offer the discount is WI.

See the PFJ Thread:

Happy trails.