Sign in to follow this  
boguslaw

Diesel Fuel Additive

I met a fellow RV'er that owned a diesel truck repair shop in a former life and he recommended using a diesel fuel additive. His reasoning was that the new diesel fuel lacks the lubricity of previous versions and we RV'ers are more likely to incure failures in pumps and injectors as a result. I've seen additives used to stabilize fuel for storage but not for this. I couldn't find any other info on this topic. Can anyone else comment? If advisable to use one, any particular brand?

Jim Boguslaw

Country Coach 07

Jim,

As with oil additives, holding tank additives, etc lots of OPINIONS out there. Some swear by them, others consider them snake oil.

The diesel engine manufacturers say all their engines are compatible with ULSD.

Were lack of lubricity to cause engine/injector problems, I would think it would show up in the OTR trucks piling up over 100,000 miles a year long before it would show up in our application. Really haven't hears of massive failures even in high mile applications.

The only issues I am aware of are that the seals on some Cummins lift pumps are not compatible with ULSD. Nothing to do with lubricity.

Personally, the only additives I use are a Biocide if storing fuel and an anti-gel if storing summer blend fuel into winter. At 157,000 miles no problems.

Brett

Add 1 Qt of marvel oil in 100 gallon Diesel No.2 during winter time and also storage time. I had no problem with start up during cold weather in 2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Cat diesel engine and also 1992 Dodge PU Cummins engine.

Add 1 Qt of marvel oil in 100 gallon Diesel No.2 during winter time and also storage time. I had no problem with start up during cold weather in 2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor Cat diesel engine and also 1992 Dodge PU Cummins engine.

There is a quite creditable lubricity test out there that I read that indicates that Marvel Oil reduces the fuel lubricity because of solvents. If I can find the test results again i will post it!

The lubricity study i was referring to was published by "The Diesel Place", and is found here> http://www.jatonkam35s.com/DeuceTechnicalManuals/Diesel_fuel_additive_test.pdf.

Please note many of the products advertised to increase lubricity actually effect the lubricity negatively, while Tech brand 2 cycle oil, not intended for that purpose is fairly effective both cost and improvement in lubricity.

If the above link fails in the future, i would be happy to send members a pdf of the detailed report.

edsugghd,

Welcome to the forum.

I would go read the information that rlbarkleyii posted. You might want to change your practices.

rlbarkleyii,

Thanks for posting that link I have seen it before but couldn't find my link.

I think it is interesting that the thing most of us hate is one of the best things to do for lubricity, I am talking about running a Biodiesel mix. I find it is hard to find a place that isn't selling at lest 5% and have seen as high as 50%.

Well on my old 03 Cummins I run Diesel clean more for the clean but adding to the lubricity can't hurt.

Bill

I was doing some reading on this subject. Both Cat and Cummins say you don't need any additives. The big caveat is "if the fuel meets the required standards." Now how do we know if the fuel meets all the requirements? Now it is interesting that Cat says that additives will not improve performance but may "restore" performance. They now recommend 256-4968 Caterpillar fuel conditioner can improves mileage by 2-3%. They also recommend, 343-6210 Caterpillar Fuel system cleaner.

Cummins only approves products manufactured by Cummins or it’s subsidiaries.

https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/pdfs/product_lit/americas_brochures/LT32599_08.pdf

So while saying you don't need additives they sell and recommend them.

I am going to continue to run the Fleetguard Asphaltene Conditioner or Diesel Kleen.

Bill

Bill.

Not in your life time or mine, I expect those numbers will be opposite 50/50 or 5% Diesel, 95% BIO. Up until 18 months ago, BP, Exxon-Mobil,

Shell and Chevron had a Bio diesel research center at University of Houston... they shut it down, not due to failure or funding, but the cost of

production would cost the consumer $6.00+ a gallon and they figured that no one but a few would buy it!

Unless Cummins shows me, in writhing that I can run higher than a 20% bio, without hurting any of my components, gaskets or seal, I will stay

at 15% or less!

Carl

Good grief! Mineral oil, Solvent and Lard...that's "slick Willie" selling snake oil again! <_<:rolleyes: I would not put that in a gasser (which it was designed for). Definately NOT in my DP...that's insane!

Carl

"Unless Cummins shows me, in writhing that I can run higher than a 20% bio, without hurting any of my components, gaskets or seal, I will stay

at 15% or less!"

One of the things we often ignore is that bio-diesel by nature is a strong solvent. That can't be good for the lubricity of fuel and wear and tear on our engines. Also older model diesels where not designed for either bio fuels or ULSD fuels. The major manufacturers may say it is OK for all engines, but I believe they lie. If you notice there are no old trucks on the road anymore, by old i mean 20 years or more.

In another life when I started trucking back in 1960's there were Alllis-Chambers and Cat engines that were manufactured in the 50's and still running into the 70"s. Multi million miles was not exceptional. Todays engines don't do the long haul, todays diesels are more likely to suffer catastrophic damage, over the road trucks are not making a million miles plus, and are scrapped rather than rebuilt.

That effects us today because we are all driving throw away engines in our late model motor homes. We are now the victims of planned obsolescence. The only thing that saves us is that we don't rack up the miles like over the road equipment.