api100

Replacing 295/80 tires with 295/75 tires?

I have a 2005 Revolution with 295/80/ 22.5 tires original. Last year I replaced the two front tires with 295/80 Michelins.

I now want to replace the 4 rear tires. When checking with local dealers for prices, I find that I can get 295/75 tires for about half the cost of 295/ 80's. The 80's are about 41 inches in diameter and the 75's are 40 inches in diameter.

My question is, if I replace all 4 rear tires with the 75's will it make a difference with the two front tires being 80's? I know you can't have different sizes in the same axle.

Has anyone experienced this?

Saving $1600 is attention getting!

Thanks!

Andy

Andy,

I have NOT looked into the interchangeability of the two sizes, but will address your specific question.

No problem having different size tires between front and rear axle as long as both meet all other criteria.

However, it means that you will be very limited in how you rotate them should you need to do so.

Assume you have priced the Michelins through the FMCA Fleet Program.

api,

1 inch may not sound like a lot but it will effect both your spedo and you mileage. I also believe you will have a softer ride with the 80's, just my opinion.

Good Luck and do look at FMCA Michelins program.

Herman

Hi Andy

You also should check out if You have ABS Brakes on Your Coach,Its a high probability it will turn the Waring lamp on

and there is no way to turn it of ,witch means the Abs System will be disabled.You will still have Brakes , but in a

Panic stop Your wheels would lock up & possibly ruin Your new Tires. all this is due to a different Diameter tires between fr.& rear Axel

Good Luck , Old Marine

It should not effect the abs because it recalibrates itself when the ignition is turned on and it starts to roll. This takes care of tire wear and other factors, etc.

If you are looking at a truck tire such as Toyo expect a firmer ride because of the more rigid sidewall. Because of the different diameter you will need to have the computer reset because the revs per mile will be higher, for the speedometer and the odometer to read correct.

If saving that much money is more important than the disadvantages go for it. I did about 9 years ago but went back to the Michelins because of the ride and mileage factor.

I do not see a 295/75R22.5 size listed on the Michelin Load/Inflation chart. So along with size, are you considering changing brands? Nothing wrong with mixing brands or size on a motorhome but as Brett pointed out you will not be able to rotate tires in the future. You should always run the same tires on each axle.

Also you did not mention if your 295's were LR-H or LR-J. This information would help those offering assistance to provide a more meaningful response.

What ever you do, be sure your new tires can carry the actual load of your RV. Be sure you are looking at the correct LR when making your comparison. You can learn more about LR by reading this post "Load Range" .

After reading all the comments and suggestions, I have decided to stick with the 295/80 tires all the way around on my coach. Thank you all for your input. Today I checked on the Michelin Tire Advantage program to get a cost on the 295/80s. The closest dealer is 40 miles from my house.
The initial price the dealer gave me did not sound too bad. But then he added the federal tax and sales tax and his charge of $60/tire
mounting and the cost quickly increased by over $100. I expected the taxes, even though I don't understand the reason for the federal tax, but $60 for mounting seemed out of line. My local dealer charges $20 for that same size tire.

Any savings from the Michelin program were just about wiped out by the dealer charges. Have any of you run into this problem?
I can pick the tires up from the dealer and have them mounted here but that just adds to the hassle.

After reading all the comments and suggestions, I have decided to stick with the 295/80 tires all the way around on my coach. Thank you all for your input. Today I checked on the Michelin Tire Advantage program to get a cost on the 295/80s. The closest dealer is 40 miles from my house.

The initial price the dealer gave me did not sound too bad. But then he added the federal tax and sales tax and his charge of $60/tire

mounting and the cost quickly increased by over $100. I expected the taxes, even though I don't understand the reason for the federal tax, but $60 for mounting seemed out of line. My local dealer charges $20 for that same size tire.

Any savings from the Michelin program were just about wiped out by the dealer charges. Have any of you run into this problem?

I can pick the tires up from the dealer and have them mounted here but that just adds to the hassle.

Thats why I change my own. I invested in professional tire tools, $120, and it takes me about 10 minutes for each tire to change. I used to use crowbars but it was awkward and took longer.

I would tend to agree that $60 just to change the tire is a lot of money. However, if that charge also includes new stems and spin balancing before mounting it's not quite as bad.

The other thing that you might ask, or try to negotiate with the dealer is a credit for your old tires. In my case the dealer gave me sufficient credit for the old tires to cover all the stems, balancing and mounting, as well as a front end alignment, but not the taxes. Even though the take-off tires were old and not so safe for an RV they still had plenty of tread and the dealer made an off-hand comment that he could make a little selling them to gravel haulers.