Sign in to follow this  
JohnJill

Trac Vision Replacement Dome

Yes, need some advise on where to go to get a trac vision replacement dome, the one that was put on is white and the wife says its time to go. Looking for a black one. If not can these be painted.

Hi John ! Welcome to FMCA !

Question painting the domes.

Could you post the model Trac Vision Unit do you have? KVH, trackvision 13 or some other model?

Rich.

John, with one of the models below you can contact a dealer or supplier and ask for a price and shipping on the proper sized dome and color black.

TracVision R6DX= 28x12in. TracVision R6ST+28x12in. TracVision R1DX=13.5X13in. TracVision R1ST=13.5x13in. TracVision A7=32in.x 5in.

TracVision R5SL or TracVision R4SL= 32x12in.

http://www.kvh.com/Support/Contact.aspx

Try to contact a dealer for a part number for you model in the color black

Google kvh tracvision dome purchase

Rich.

John,

If it hasn't been said before, Welcome to the Forum.

I am such a simple minded person. So let me put this where I can understand. New Dome in another color, $150..00 (aprox) plus shipping, Can of High priced spray paint $ 8.00 at H/D or Lowes, hum? :unsure:

Either way, when you get on your roof to change or paint, be careful.

Herman

Herman, Like Brett mentioned. The problem with paint is it very well could cause a signal degradation very similar to a cloudy day.

Paint contents and thickness are some of the variables that have to be considered.

Rich.

Two things:

1) Ditto what Wolfe said. Make sure the paint is OK for painting the dome. Some paints can block or degrade signals. Google it and see if you can find approved paints. Or just contact one of the dome manufactures and see if they have a recommendation.

2) A black dome will create A LOT MORE HEAT inside than a white one. White reflects the heat back into the atmosphere. Black absorbs the heat and passes it into the dome. This can affect the electronics inside the dome. The same principle applies to tire covers.

White is a much better choice because the tires stay cooler than they would if the covers were black or any dark color. The heat issue is more critical if you frequently visit hot areas. If you are usually in cooler climates, the color will be less of an issue.

I painted mine with a can of cheap, flat beige paint to match my upper body color with not detectable change in signal. Mfg told me only to avoid metallic paint. I have had no issues in 5 years.

There is a new paint on the market that sheds rain so well the surface does not get wet. If it doesn't degrade signal it might help with loss of signal in rain.

cmarq,

While at Gillette I visited with one of the crews washing coaches. The fellow told me that the spray wax they use on the coach help shed the rain on domes and dishes. I am going to wax my dome and see if it helps. Of course here in Texas we don't have a big problem with signal loss due to rain.

John,

If Jill would perfer the dome to be the color of the coach you could paint just the sides with a cheap non metalic paint and leave the top white. What she can't see wont bother her.

And John, after all these years you can call me Herman.

Herman