Sign in to follow this  
ronandsue74

Squeaking Noise

I seem to have developed, for lack of a better description, a squeaking noise in the area of my engine compartment. I have been under the coach and have found nothing suspicious. My serpentine belt is only two years old and appears fine, I have checked my idler pulleys, they also seem OK.

My coach is a 2005 Country Coach Inspire with the Cat C9 engine & 33K miles.

Soon I plan on taking an extended trip in the coach. I just don't want to be overlooking anything that may cause me trouble down the road.

Any suggestions/help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

RJ 2005 CC Inspire #51264

Ron,

Is this a constant noise?

Only does it for the first few minutes?

Only under certain conditions?

Does it change with RPM?

Yes, the noise is constant.

It does not stop after a few minutes

All conditions I think, however, I don't know when rolling down the road because I don't hear it inside the coach.

Not sure if it changes with rpm's, I'll have to check that one

I have checked the idler pulleys, they look fine.

Any Thoughts?

RJ

2005 CC Inspire #51264

Ron, Think that you can change the idle speed using the cruse control, makes things a little easier when working alone.

I have used a wooden dowel, held against different sections of the engines to track down the source of a noise, You just have to be very careful and if your not comfortable doing it. Get some one to help.

Rich.

I just came back from running the coach.

Yes the squeak does increase with the engine rpm.

I think the squeak may be coming from the air conditioner pulley.

I removed the serpentine belt and spun the pulley by hand. It spun easily and made no noise that I could discern.

However, under a load it may be a different story.

Thoughts Please!

PS. Herman, I'm not far from you up in Prosper/Celina

RJ

2005 Inspire #51264

Check the exhaust gaskets. Mine was the #5 cylinder on an 8.9 Cummins and the noise followed the rpm's like you described.

On a diesel, a good way to check for exhaust leaks is to look for BLACK-- the soot left from combustion. A good flashlight is the only "tool" you need.

When you have the belt off, briefly start the engine and see if the noise goes away. That means cold engine and run no more than a few minutes. If the noise goes away then it is either a pulley bearing or belt. If you still have noise then it's something else.

Thanks for all the tips to trace my squeak.

I have narrowed it down to my belt tensioner spring, I think.

A little lube on the spring and it seems to have stopped.

Again thanks for all the advise.

RJ

2005 Inspire #51264

RJ from my experience, when a belt tensioner make noise whether the spring or bearing, it is best to replace it. If the spring moves enough to make noise that means the spring has weakening. What can happen down the road is increase belt wear and possibility of the belt getting thrown off when least expected.

To add to what Ray said, a belt tensioner that is "jumping" also loads/unloads all the accessory bearings driven by that belt such as alternator so it shortens their life as well.

Brett