tilldee

Hard Wiring a Surge Protector

We are going to purchase a surge protector for our coach and wondering about hard wiring it in the coach -vs- a portable one. My question is, where do you hardwire it in the coach? Is it inside the coach? In reading a bit about the protector I have heard there is a hum that comes from it and I don't really want to hear that inside the coach. Can they be hardwired in a storage bay area?

As you can tell, this is all new to us and we have lots of questions that may seem simple to others, but we are very appreciative of the knowledge base we have on here to get answers.

Yes, most are located in the basement.

Most are located between the incoming shore power and the ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch). That protects everything "downstream" of the surge protector (including ATS).

A few locate it between ATS and coach 120 VAC breaker box. That leaves the ATS unprotected, but also protects against over/under voltage and surges from the generator.

And be aware that NO surge protector protects against a lightening strike or even close lightening strike. Disconnecting from shore power is best protection against lightening.

That sure is good to hear Wolfe 10. Thanks for the info. We were thinking of ordering it from Camping World, but would need someone to do the install. May just need to make a trip to CW.

Ours is located in the compartment where our power cable first enters the coach. I had to replace ours but I purchased one online - Amazon or eBay - because I got a better price than Camping World. Not difficult to install if you are familiar with electric wiring. Right now the Camping World catalog shows a $39 installation charge for members. If you are not comfortable with wiring, that would probably be the way to go.

I highly recommend buying a product not ony for surge protection but also power (voltage and wiring) protection. I installed the EMS-LCHW50 hardwired unit manufactured by Progressive Industries in my power basement upstream of the transfer switch. It has saved me numerous times from high voltage, low voltage and wiring issues.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/ems_lchw50.htm

This is the unit we are looking at. 34520 It has a great on sale price, but would like to know if anyone is familar with the TRC brand.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/30a-hardwire-surge-guard/69522

Description

SurgeGuard.jpg
This 30 amp Surge Guard product monitors shore power continuously and shuts off when it detects excessive voltage or open neutral conditions that could damage electronic equipment in your coach.
Like its 50 amp partner, the 30 amp hardwire is permanently installed within the bay of your coach, preventing potential theft and damage from the elements. Optional Remote LCD Display conveniently and remotely monitors RV electrical power.

Features:

• Automatic reset on power restoration
  • Automatically shuts off the power when the following is present: Open neutral, Low (<102V) and High (>132V) Voltage, and Multi-mode surge suppression
  • Caution indicator light indicates: Miswired pedestal, Reverse polarity, and Elevated ground voltage
  • 128 second reset delay protects A/C compressor.
  • 2450 Joules of power surge protection.
  • Easy installation
  • Optional Remote Power Monitor LCD Display (Sku 69524)

Technical Specs

Tech Specs

Weight: 4.5 lbs.

Documents:

Manufacturer: Technology Research Corp

Mfg Part #: 34520-002

Tech Notes:

Electrical Rating: 120V, 30A

Surge Suppression (Joules): 2,450

Max Spike Current: 6,500A

Over/Under Voltage: Yes

Open Neutral Protection: Yes

Reverse Polarity Protection: Yes

Miswired Pedestal Indication: Yes

Dangerous Current on Ground Wire Indication: Yes

Time delay at power up (128 Sec): Yes

UL Listed: Yes

- See more at: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/30a-hardwire-surge-guard/69522#sthash.IHOee5LY.dpuf

Tilldee,

We have the 50 amp version of the one you are looking at (it was standard equipment in our coach) and we have never noticed a hum. Our original unit had to be replaced in 2012 after a power pedestal problem in Alaska took it out.

The Surge Guard is an excellent choice. Customer service is tops. I have the 50 amp unit with the remote lcd readout. I don't notice any noise from the unit as mine is located in the bay with the power cords. Be sure to used oxgard or simular coating on the terminals because the term in the unit is aluminum and the wire is copper and will corrode in time without.

I would suggest you consider the Progressive Industries surge protector. Lifetime warranty and great customer service. It also has some additional features.

I would suggest you consider the Progressive Industries surge protector. Lifetime warranty and great customer service. It also has some additional features.

Its the added features I like with the Progressive Industries. It, Progressive Industries, doesn't give a caution light, it will not allow power to the coach if there is an open ground, open neutral or reverse polarity. There is a time delay for the air conditioners re-starting if there is a power blip. Huge added features as far as I'm concerned. If there should ever be a computer failure, there is a jumper wire so you can get service while PI overnights you a new board at no cost. They truly have a Lifetime Waranty. Its available at Tweety's for less than $200 and it doesn't hum.

We ordered the Progressive Industries surge protector from Tweety's, just waiting on it to arrive and have it installed. Can a regular electrician do the install or should it be an RV technician?

I installed mine. I removed the power cable from the transfer switch, decided the best location to permanently mount the unit, cut the correct length of cable from the power cable that would be used to go from the unit to the transfer switch, completed the wiring between the unit and the transfer switch and connected the power cord to the unit before I attached the unit to the service bay wall. I found it much easier to work with the heavy gauge wire outside the bay. Installation time was less than an hour.

My point is, anyone with some wiring experience can do the install. If you are near me, north of Houston, I would be happy to help you install it.

BTW...in my opinion, you made a great choice purchasing the Progressive Industries unit.

I installed mine. I removed the power cable from the transfer switch, decided the best location to permanently mount the unit, cut the correct length of cable from the power cable that would be used to go from the unit to the transfer switch, completed the wiring between the unit and the transfer switch and connected the power cord to the unit before I attached the unit to the service bay wall. I found it much easier to work with the heavy gauge wire outside the bay. Installation time was less than an hour.

My point is, anyone with some wiring experience can do the install. If you are near me, north of Houston, I would be happy to help you install it.

BTW...in my opinion, you made a great choice purchasing the Progressive Industries unit.

Jim, I thank you so much for all the info and instruction and your generous offer of help with the install. However, we are many, many miles from Houston or even north of it. :) We are in Ohio. I will pass this along to the DH to see if he is comfortable with the install. Thanks again, and we are so glad we have found this forum.